Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead)February 20th, 2012 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Between 90 and 100 kg of uranium has been enriched to 20 percent at a facility in the Iranian city of Natanz, the country’s news agency ISNA reported Monday.
According to Fereydoon Abbasi, who supervises Iran’s nuclear programme, the procedure was supervised by experts from the global nuclear watchdog IAEA.
A successful enrichment programme means Iran can abandon an earlier plan to give up its own low-enrichment uranium in exchange for highly enriched uranium supplied by other countries, Abbasi said.
“We produce our [reactor] fuel ourselves,” he added.
Uranium needs to be enriched to 85 percent to qualify for nuclear bomb production.
The exchange plan was agreed on in 2010 by Iran, Brazil and Turkey in a bid to convince the global community of the peaceful and controlled nature of Tehran’s nuclear programme.
It was never implemented due to a fresh round of anti-Iran sanctions introduced by the UN at the time.
Earlier in the day, a high-level delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) arrived in Tehran for talks on nuclear issues.
The five-member delegation is led by IAEA Deputy Director General Herman Nackaerts.
“We hope to have few days of good and constructive talks in Tehran,” Nackaerts said Sunday, adding that the meeting with Iranian authorities should yield “real results”.
Western powers and Israel suspect Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons. However, Iran strongly denies this, saying its programme is of a civilian nature only.
- IAEA team in Tehran for talks - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- IAEA team arrives in Iran - Jan 29, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- Iranian leader threatens to increase uranium enrichment - Jul 23, 2012
- IAEA officials to meet Iranian delegation Friday - Aug 22, 2012
- Iranian nuclear scientist killed in car bombing - Jan 11, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran accuses US of pressuring IAEA - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,