Iran denies Syria captives are elite guardsAugust 6th, 2012 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Iranian foreign ministry Monday denied that the 48 Iranians kidnapped in Syria were members of the elite Iranian Revolutionary Guards.
“We strongly deny the information disseminated by certain media that our kidnapped pilgrims are members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps. All of them are pilgrims who came to Damascus to visit its shrines,” Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian was quoted as saying by the Arab-language Al-Alam TV.
Iranian media reported Sunday that 48 pilgrims travelling on a bus from Damascus international airport to the Hazrat Zainab shrine on the outskirts of the Syrian capital were abducted by armed insurgents. This was the third kidnapping of Iranian citizens since the crisis in Syria began in March 2011.
Later, a man dressed as an officer of the rebel Free Syrian Army said in a video posted online that the captured pilgrims were “militiamen on a reconnaissance mission in Damascus”.
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has asked Turkey and Qatar to intervene to secure the release of the abducted pilgrims.
The Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
- Syrian rebels claim kidnapped Iranians are spies (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Iran asks Turkey, Qatar to help release pilgrims in Syria - Aug 05, 2012
- 48 Iranian pilgrims abducted in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012
- Ahmadinejad invited to Saudi Arabia to discuss Syria - Aug 06, 2012
- Twin blasts kill 12 at Syria funeral - Aug 29, 2012
- Annan's exit may bring forceful action in Syria: Russia - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria - Aug 21, 2012
- Syria to use chemical weapons against foreign attack - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: abducted, al alam tv, ali akbar, captives, damascus international, elite guards, iranian citizens, iranian foreign minister, iranian foreign ministry, iranian media, iranian revolutionary guards, iranians, opposition groups, pilgrims, reconnaissance mission, ria novosti, salehi, shrines, syrian army, syrian capital