Iran celebrates 30th anniversary of Islamic revolutionFebruary 1st, 2009 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 1 (DPA) Iran Sunday celebrated the 30th anniversary of the 1979 revolution by paying tribute to the late supreme leader and architect of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.At the beginning of the festivities, which were this year held one day earlier due to the Persian leap year, current supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei visited the shrine of his predecessor as well as the graves of martyrs of the Islamic revolution and the 1980-88 war against Iraq.
Khamenei, who according to constitution has the final say on all state affairs, vowed to continue the Khomeini’s legacy.
Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Iran Feb 1, 1979 after 15 years in political exile and 10 days later toppled the 2,500-year-old monarchy. He declared the formation of the Islamic Republic which has since become a major political challenge for the West.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also visited Khomeini’s shrine and said the Islamic revolution was still alive and that its spirit would continue until justice ruled the world.
Referring to the influence of the Islamic system in other Muslim states, he added that Iran’s revolution was not only limited to Iranian borders.
The celebrations will culminate Feb 10 with state-organised rallies throughout the country and a speech by Ahmadinejad in Tehran’s Azadi Square.
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Ahmadinejad warns opposition ahead of protests - Jun 04, 2010
- 'Mideast massive protests' a replay of 1979 Islamic revolution: Iranian conservatives - Jan 29, 2011
- Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei praises unrest in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 05, 2011
- Khamenei orders institute to control cyberspace - Mar 08, 2012
- Iranian navy launches first indigenously built warship - Feb 19, 2010
- Iran's parliamentary elections blow to enemies: Khamenei - Mar 01, 2012
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Khamenei warns opposition against undermining establishment - Dec 13, 2009
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran's Ayatollah Montazeri dies (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- Planned Tehran march in support of Egypt protests will test Iranian regime: Opposition leader - Feb 09, 2011
- Iran celebrates 30 years of Islamic revolution - Jan 31, 2009
- Iran's supreme leader backs Kashmir 'struggle' (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: 30th anniversary, ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, ayatollah khomeini, ayatollah ruhollah khomeini, azadi square, islamic revolution, islamic system, leap year, mahmoud ahmadinejad, martyrs, monarchy, muslim states, political challenge, political exile, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, ruhollah khomeini, state affairs, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei