Iran calls for immediate disarmament of nuclear statesMay 27th, 2010 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 27 (IANS) Iran Thursday urged all countries to take serious steps to dismantle all nuclear weapons and called for setting a deadline in this regard by the international community.
“We believe that nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) are a necessity in today’s world. So a time limit is needed to be set for the elimination of nuclear weapons and this issue has to be incorporated in the final declaration of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) conference,” Mohammad Khazaee, Iran’s ambassador to the UN, was quoted as saying by Fars news agency.
Khazaee said Iran, as one of the first countries to have signed the NPT and which floated the idea of a nuke-free Middle East in 1974, supports global denuclearisation as well as free access to peaceful nuclear technology.
He said Iran calls for removal of all WMD from across the globe.
The UN General Assembly had approved a draft resolution proposed by Iran on nuclear disarmament in October 2009, amid strong opposition by the US, Britain, France, Israel.
The resolution ratified in the first committee of the UN General Assembly calls on all countries to annihilate their nuclear weapons under the supervision of international bodies. It also urged Israel to join the NPT and allow the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to inspect its nuclear installations.
More than 100 countries, including non-nuclear members of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), voted for the resolution.
Tehran also held a conference on nuclear disarmament in April, which was attended by foreign ministers and nuclear experts from 60 countries.
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- India, US on same page on Iran's n-programme (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Arab Demand For A Nuke-Free Mideast Gets International Attention - May 06, 2010
- 'No contradiction in India's ties with Iran, US' - Feb 07, 2012
- UN asks for agreement on nuclear disarmament - May 28, 2010
- Belgium calls on India, Pakistan, Israel to join NPT - May 07, 2010
- Iran calls for suspending US from IAEA (Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Restructuring UNSC must for disarmament: Iran - Apr 17, 2010
- UAE for nuclear energy use by all NPT members - May 05, 2010
- Nuclear conference adopts disarmament measures - May 29, 2010
- Pressure builds on Iran, Israel N-programmes - Jun 07, 2010
- Iran seeks India's backing for Tehran disarmament meet - Mar 27, 2010
- G8 expresses concerns over North Korea, Iran - May 20, 2012
- India denies US pressure, keeps Iran pipeline option open - Apr 03, 2010
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: atomic energy agency, draft resolution, first committee, foreign ministers, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, international bodies, non proliferation treaty, nuclear disarmament, nuclear experts, nuclear installations, nuclear non proliferation treaty, nuclear states, nuclear weapons, peaceful nuclear technology, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, time limit, un general assembly, weapons of mass destruction