Iran building naval bases on Oman coast: ReportOctober 30th, 2008 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Oct 30 (Xinhua) Iran has started constructing new naval bases along the coast of the Sea of Oman for an “impenetrable line of defence,” the Tehran Times daily reported Thursday. The new bases will extend from Bandar Abbas, a major Iranian seaport on the Strait of Hormuz, to Pasa Bandar near the Pakistan border, Iran’s navy commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayari was quoted as saying.
“The new mission of the navy is to establish an impenetrable line of defence at the entrance to the Sea of Oman,” Sayari said, adding the new bases will be constructed rapidly.
“If the enemy goes insane, we will drown them at the bottom of the Indian Ocean and the Sea of Oman before they reach the Strait of Hormuz and the entrance to the Persian Gulf,” he vowed.
On Monday, Iran’s armed forces also inaugurated a new naval base in the strategic port of Jask, east of the Strait of Hormuz in southern Iran.
Iran’s deputy army commander Brigadier General Seied Abdolrahim Moussavi said Tuesday that the aircraft carriers of the enemy, “like the elements of the computer games”, are under the gaze of Iran’s armed forces.
The semi-official Fars news agency quoted Moussavi as saying that the new naval base in Jask would function as a “protective barrier in the eastern parts of the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman.”
The United States and Israel have consistently refused to rule out the possibility of military strikes against Iran over its refusal to halt its nuclear programme.
Washington and its allies have accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear programme. Iran has denied the US charges and insisted that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes only.
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Britain draws up battle plan against Iran - Feb 26, 2012
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran to hold war games - Dec 14, 2011