Iran building its second naval destroyerDecember 26th, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 26 (IANS) The Iranian navy is constructing its second modern destroyer, said a senior official.
Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari told IRNA that the destroyer, which enjoys capabilities in surface-to-air, surface-to-surface and sub-surface operations, will join the Iranian fleet soon.
The Jamaran-2 is also capable of offering fuel to helicopters, he said.
The official said that the Jamaran-1 warship destroyer is present in the war games which are underway in Iran’s southern waters, reported Xinhua.
The Iranian navy launched a 10-day massive naval exercises in the international waters Saturday.
The naval drills, dubbed Velayat 90, cover an area of 2,000 km stretching from the east of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Aden.
Different classes of submarines, including Tareq and Ghadir, the newest ground-to-sea missile systems and torpedoes have be deployed in the maneuvers.
Earlier this month, Parviz Sorouri, a member of Iranian parliament’ National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said that Iran plans to practice its ability to close the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important passages for exports of crude oil and oil products from littoral states of the Persian Gulf.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said later that closing the Strait of Hormuz is not on Iran’s agenda since Iran believes in upholding the stability and peace of the region.
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran to hold war games - Dec 14, 2011
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran adds two submarines to naval fleet - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran tests anti-submarine torpedo - May 09, 2010
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran praises 'humanitarian' US navy - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: foreign ministry spokesman, gulf of aden, international waters, iranian navy, iranian parliament, jamaran, littoral states, missile systems, naval destroyer, naval exercises, oil products, parviz, persian gulf, rear admiral, southern waters, strait of hormuz, surface operations, tareq, war games, warship