Iran blasts China over new UN sanctionsJune 10th, 2010 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 10 (IANS) Iran has harshly criticised China over its yes vote on new sanctions against the Islamic republic at the UN Security Council (UNSC), Iranian state-run Press TV reported Thursday.
Director of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran Ali-Akbar Salehi described China’s decision as an indication that the West was “holding dominion” over the Beijing government.
“China used to call the US a paper tiger. I wonder what title is appropriate for China now considering its stance on the UNSC resolution for fresh sanctions on Iran,” Salehi said in the interview with ISNA Wednesday.
The Iranian official warned China about the consequences of its yes vote on sanctions, saying it would “lose its respected stance in the Islamic World and will wake up when it is too late”.
Salehi also criticised members of the UN Security Council for their double standard policies.
“The double standard approach of several countries, in particular the UN Security Council members, have been revealed to the world (through this round of sanctions),” he said.
The UNSC voted in favour of a fourth round of sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme Wednesday. Of the 15 UNSC member states Brazil and Turkey voted against the new round of sanctions, while Lebanon abstained from voting.
The new round of sanctions was adopted against Tehran over its uranium enrichment programme.
- Remove sanction, Iran tells West - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran hopeful over Baghdad n-talks: Minister - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran blames China for UN sanctions' vote - Jun 10, 2010
- Iran ready to hold nuclear talks: Minister - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran to decide downed US drone's fate - Dec 18, 2011
- Iran wants n-talks in Istanbul - Mar 30, 2012
- Iranian cleric warns against UN, EU support to Britain - Dec 03, 2011
- Iran 'unimpressed' by new UN sanctions - May 20, 2010
- Iran parliament to discuss bill reducing cooperation with IAEA - Jun 13, 2010
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran ready for n-talks: Minister - Jan 18, 2012
- Iran denies entry to two IAEA inspectors - Jun 21, 2010
- Iran not to renounce its nuclear rights - Sep 06, 2010
- India cautious on Iran sanctions, pitches for dialogue - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Iran won't give in to western pressure' - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: ali akbar, atomic energy, beijing government, blasts, enrichment programme, government china, iranian official, islamic world, isna, member states, members of the un security council, paper tiger, salehi, sanctions against iran, security council members, tehran, un security council, un security council members, unsc resolution, uranium enrichment