Iran asks Turkey, Qatar to help release pilgrims in SyriaAugust 5th, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 5 (IANS) Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has called on Turkey and Qatar to help release 48 Iranian Shia pilgrims abducted in Syria, RIA Novosti reported Sunday.
In phone conversations held with his Turkish and Qatari counterparts Ahmet Davutoglu and Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani respectively Saturday, Salehi requested both countries to intervene immediately to secure the release of the abducted Iranians.
On Saturday, the 48 pilgrims who were travelling on a bus from the Damascus international airport to the Hazrat Zainab shrine on the outskirts of the Syrian capital were abducted by armed insurgents.
This is not the first time Iranians have been abducted by armed gunmen in Syria.
In January, armed assailants attacked a bus and abducted 11 Iranian pilgrims on the road between Damascus and the northwestern city of Aleppo.
In December 2011, armed men kidnapped five engineers in Homs city while they were on their way to work at the city’s Jandar power plant being built by Iranian technicians. Two other Iranians who tried to determine the fate of the engineers were also abducted.
- Syrian rebels claim kidnapped Iranians are spies (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Iran denies Syria captives are elite guards - Aug 06, 2012
- 48 Iranian pilgrims abducted in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- Syria suspended from Arab League - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- 11 killed in Syria bus attack - Jan 23, 2012
- Protesters storm Syrian consulate in Istanbul - Feb 06, 2012
- 25 killed in fresh Syria massacre - Jun 22, 2012
- Turkish journalists released from Syria - May 13, 2012
- Qatar pledges to invest $4 bn in Spain - Mar 01, 2011
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria - May 14, 2011
- Syrian official denies sabotage of drinking water - Sep 09, 2012
- Pakistan asks citizens not to travel to Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- 31 killed in Syrian bombings (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: abducted, ahmet davutoglu, al thani, aleppo, ali akbar, armed men, assailants, damascus international, gunmen, iranian foreign minister, iranians, northwestern city, outskirts, phone conversations, pilgrims, ria novosti, salehi, sheikh hamad bin, shia, syrian capital