Iran arrests suspects over n-scientists’ murdersJune 15th, 2012 - 9:33 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 15 (IANS) Iran’s intelligence ministry has announced the capture of a number of prime suspects in the killings of two of the country’s nuclear scientists.
The ministry said the suspects were linked to Israel, RIA Novosti reported citing the IRNA news agency.
“The main elements behind the killings were arrested and moved to detention following an investigation of at least 18 months involving surveillance in Iran and abroad,” said a ministry statement.
The detainees are believed to be involved in the murders of Majid Shahriari, a key member of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, and of Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan, a deputy director of Iran’s largest uranium enrichment plant Natanz.
On Nov 29, 2010, Shahriari was killed and another nuclear scientist, Fereydoun Abbasi, was seriously wounded in Tehran.
These were copycat operations, timed for rush hour — 7:30 a.m. — in different parts of the city. Motorcycle riders stuck bombs to the windows of the scientists’ cars and managed a quick getaway seconds before the blasts.
Roshan and his bodyguard died in a car bomb explosion in Tehran Jan 11, 2012. Police said a motorcyclist attached a magnetic mine to the car the scientist was riding in.
Iran blamed these and two other murders of Iranian scientists on Israeli and US intelligence.
- Iran arrests all suspects in nuke scientists' killings - Jun 29, 2012
- Iranian nuclear scientist killed in car bombing - Jan 11, 2012
- Iran blames Israel for killing nuclear staff (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Iran blames CIA for Iranian nuclear official's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- Iran makes arrests in scientist's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- Britain condemns killing of Iran n-scientist - Jan 12, 2012
- Mid-East experts warn US to take Iran threat to kill generals seriously - Dec 16, 2010
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran ready for n-talks: Minister - Jan 18, 2012
- Sticky bomb a bigger threat: NSG chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran can produce n-fuel for vessels, submarines: Official - Jul 23, 2012
- Gang linked to Iran n-scientists killings held - May 06, 2012
- IAEA team in Tehran for talks - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: ahmadi, atomic energy organization, car bomb explosion, city motorcycle, fereydoun, intelligence ministry, irna news agency, magnetic mine, majid, ministry statement, motorcycle riders, motorcyclist, natanz, nuclear scientist, nuclear scientists, prime suspects, quick getaway, ria novosti, rush hour, uranium enrichment plant