Iran arrests rebel leaderFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 23 (DPA) Iran has arrested Abdolmalek Rigi, the leader of the Sunni Muslim rebel group Jundollah, state media reported Tuesday.
The group is accused of drug-trafficking, kidnapping and bombings in the south-eastern province of Sistan-Baluchistan.
Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najar told Khabar news network that Iran had planned the arrest in advance but waited so that Rigi could be caught.
The Sunni rebel leader was reportedly arrested inside Pakistan and transferred to Iran.
The interior minister gave no further details.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Iran had arrested one of the most notorious terrorist leaders in the remote Sistan-Baluchistan province.
Authorities accuse Jundollah of sowing discord between the Shiite majority and the Sunni minority in Iran. The group says it is fighting against discrimination and for the rights of the Sunnis.
The spokesman accused the US of having supported Rigi and the Jundollah group but gave no further details.
Sistan-Baluchistan province is a major transit route for narcotics. It has been hit by a string of attacks and kidnappings, including of foreigners, that authorities blame on Jundollah.
The group claimed responsibility for a bombing in the province that killed more than 40 people, including 15 senior members of the Revolutionary Guards, in October.
- 15 dead in attack on Iranian mosque - Jul 16, 2010
- Iran accuses US of backing rebel leader (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- Deadly attack on Revolutionary Guards strains Iran-Pakistan ties - Oct 19, 2009
- 27 killed, 270 hurt in Iran blasts (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- 20 dead, 100 hurt in twin blasts in Iran - Jul 16, 2010
- Iran demands Pakistan hand over terrorist leader - Oct 23, 2009
- US tags Iranian militant group 'Jundullah' a terrorist organisation - Nov 04, 2010
- 40 arrested for Iran suicide bombings - Jul 17, 2010
- Iran rebel group Jundallah announces new leader - Mar 01, 2010
- Death toll rises to 42 in Iran attack - Oct 19, 2009
- Iran building 'anti-terror' fence on Pakistan border - Apr 15, 2011
- Jundullah chief Abdolmalek Rigi hanged in Iran - Jun 21, 2010
- Seven Jondollah militants arrested in Iran - Nov 26, 2009
- Iran executes militant group leader - Jun 20, 2010
- Iran hangs convicted Sunni rebel: Report - Nov 04, 2009
Tags: baluchistan, bombings, discord, drug trafficking, foreign ministry spokesman, interior minister, kidnappings, mostafa, najar, narcotics, ramin, rebel group, rebel leader, revolutionary guards, sistan, south eastern province, sunni muslim, sunnis, terrorist leaders, transit route