iPod sent to British MP’s attacker mistaken for bombJanuary 10th, 2011 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 10 (IANS) A package sent to a woman convict, who had stabbed British MP Stephen Timms, sparked off a full-scale bomb alert in prison, but the parcel later turned out to contain only an iPod.Roshonara Choudhry, 21, is serving a life term for stabbing Labour MP Timms, 55, twice in the stomach at his constituency in East London in May 2010.
Prison staff at the Bronzefield jail in Ashford, Middlesex, spotted wires inside a package addressed to Choudhry, The Sun reported.
Bronzefield is run by private security firm Calyx. A spokeswoman said X-ray machines had picked up the threat and sparked off the alert.
Officials ordered the prison into a full-scale alert, fearing the parcel contained explosives. But bomb experts later found only an iPod and a docking sound system inside.
“Choudhry is a restricted status prisoner, meaning she is one of the most high-profile convicts in Bronzefield. Given her background, it’s hardly surprising that a suspicious package was treated as a credible threat,” a source said.
- British woman found guilty of stabbing MP Stephen Timms - Nov 02, 2010
- At least 46 freed, to be freed Islamic extremists from UK prisons "pose risk" to public - Nov 08, 2010
- Freed terrorists face new restrictions in Britain - Nov 08, 2010
- Yemen-based Al Awlaki may succeed Osama - May 05, 2011
- Britain asks US to ban online hate videos - Nov 03, 2010
- No explosives found in suspicious package in Indonesian resort island - Mar 22, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader's tour of Britain 'radicalised a generation of young Muslims' - Nov 06, 2010
- UK faces serious 'online juhadist attacks' : Security Minister - Feb 02, 2011
- Full scale security alert at G-20 following gift of pears for Obama's daughter - Nov 12, 2010
- Police detonate mail bomb outside Greece prison - Apr 01, 2011
- British MP recovering after being stabbed by Muslim woman - May 16, 2010
- YouTube removing videos of US-born radical Yemen-based cleric al Awlaki - Nov 04, 2010
- Two injured in blasts at embassies in Rome (Fourth Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Indian-origin solicitor jailed for smuggling drugs into jail - Mar 13, 2012
- Sex toy causes bomb scare in Russia - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: ashford, attacker, bomb alert, bomb experts, british mp, constituency, convicts, credible threat, east london, labour mp, london jan, middlesex, prison staff, private security, ray machines, security firm, stephen timms, suspicious package, woman convict, x ray