IPL not yet a stunner?April 23rd, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) The second edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) is in its first week and if one goes by the TV ratings the Twenty20 showpiece has failed to generate the kind of interest it did last year.
The IPL, which coincides with the general election in India, has opened with lower TV ratings as compared to last year.
A survey conducted by viewership rating agency Television Audience Measurement (TAM), revealed that the TRP ratings of the two matches on the opening day of the IPL II, was at lowly 5.55 and 5.54 percent, respectively, as compared to last year’s figure of 8.21.
But what has added to the lower ratings have been boring finishes and the rain.
Unlike last year, matches have hardly been exciting due to low scores on bowler friendly South African pitches and the rain has also proved to be a dampner. Outcome of two matches have had to be decided by the Duckworth-Lewis Method while one match was washed out due to rain.
The only close match in the league so far has been the opener, where Mumbai Indians defeated last year’s finalists Chennai Super Kings by just 19 runs.
The highest victory margin was Chennai Super Kings’ 92-run win over Bangalore Royal Challengers Wednesday.
- Kochi Tuskers register first IPL win at home (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Airtel Champions League Twenty20 records 35 percent increase in TV ratings over 2009 - Oct 07, 2010
- Lalit Modi accuses BCCI president-elect of fixing things for CSK - May 19, 2011
- Knight Riders beat Super Kings in a rain-marred match (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Super Kings will look to sustaining winning streak at home - May 17, 2011
- Punjab thrash Super Kings by six wickets - May 17, 2012
- IPL set for grand start - without 'feel good' factor - Apr 03, 2012
- Super Kings beat Rajasthan by seven wickets - Apr 21, 2012
- IPL final: Chennai Super Kings primed for hat-trick (Preview) - May 26, 2012
- Kings XI set 157-run target for Super Kings - Apr 28, 2012
- Super Kings bowled out for 112 in IPL opener - Apr 04, 2012
- Morkel, Srikanth heroics give Super Kings four-wicket win (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Fifth edition of IPL scheduled from April 4 - Jun 27, 2011
- Yusuf Pathan becomes first to win IPL with two teams - May 28, 2012
- Kochi moving in right direction after beating MI, CSK: Jayawardene - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: challengers, close match, duckworth lewis method, figure of 8, general election, India, indians, ipl, New Delhi, opening day, pitches, premier league, rain, showpiece, stunner, television audience measurement, tv ratings, twenty20, victory margin, viewership