IPL move was hardest BCCI decision ever: ModiMarch 25th, 2009 - 10:28 am ICT by IANS
By Fakir Hassen
Johannesburg, March 25 (IANS) The decision to move the India Premier (IPL) League 2009 to South Africa was “one of the hardest decisions that the BCCI ( Board of Control for Cricket in India) has ever had to take”, Lalit Modi, chairman and commissioner of the IPL, told a press conference here as he jointly announced the decision with Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola.
“But I am equally confident that staging it here will be a massive success for us,” Modi said Tuesday evening.
“When I came here for the ICC World Cup in 2007, I was struck by the massive passion of the fans and the great enthusiasm for the game of T20. It was actually the T20 games that took place in South Africa that led to the Indian Premiere League and its success, with India winning it at that point in time.
“This passion, combined with world class facilities and excellent administration meant that my colleagues and I at the BCCI fully believe that the 2009 IPL will be a wonderful success in South Africa,” Modi said.
The series is expected to start April 18, with details of venues and other logistics, including a schedule, to be finalised within the next two days.
- More trouble for Majola over unauthorised IPL payments - Mar 26, 2012
- South African sports minister to meet CSA bosses - Apr 26, 2012
- India to play one-off Twenty20 in South Africa - Mar 05, 2012
- CPI-M, Congress question Mamata's felicitation of KKR (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- S African Sports Minister to mediate Wanderers row - Jul 24, 2009
- Cricket fans annoyed at ban on games at Wanderers - Jul 19, 2009
- IPL huge logistical exercise, but will benefit S. Africa (With Image) - Mar 25, 2009
- IPL has changed landscape of world cricket: Majola - May 25, 2009
- Feud derailing South Africa's World Cup hopes - Jan 24, 2011
- CPI-M questions Mamata's felicitation of KKR - May 30, 2012
- IPL turned around Cricket South Africa's fortunes - Aug 30, 2009
- Talks on about IPL in South Africa - Mar 22, 2009
- Gavaskar slams BCCI for u-turn on his contract - Dec 13, 2011
- Weather and proximity clinch IPL for South Africa (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2009
- Chokers tag will stay with team: Cricket South Africa chief - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: bcci, chief executive, colleagues, cricket south africa, decisions, game, games, hassen, icc world cup, India, ipl, johannesburg, logistics, march 25, massive success, passion, point in time, premiere league, t20, tuesday evening