IPL has revived South African economy: President ZumaMay 25th, 2009 - 2:37 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, May 25 (IANS) South African President Jacob Zuma Sunday thanked the Indian Premier League (IPL) for reviving the country’s economy ahead of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
The Twenty20 tournament, which concluded Sunday, was shifted to South Africa after it overlapped with the general elections in India.
“The month-long IPL has revived the country’s economy. It has boosted the South African economy by 1 billion rand with the number of hotel rooms booked and the number of flights that were added. It has given a fillip to South African tourism.
“The IPL was a great advertisement for next month’s Confederations Cup and the 2010 FIFA World Cup,” Zuma said in his speech at the IPL’s closing ceremony.
“We will be happy to organise it again if the need arises in the future.”
Zuma, the leader of the African National Congress, said the IPL has become quite popular in the rainbow country during the 37-day tournament.
“The tournament has become a household name in a very short time. People are aware of all eight teams that participated. It is a favourite here now. It brought cities to a halt during the matches,” Zuma said.
“It was a very difficult job for us to prepare everything at such short notice, including eight stadiums. I thank the organisers for a wonderful job. I also appreciate the presence of the Bollywood stars like Preity Zinta and Shilpa Shetty.”
- Zuma elated at IPL success in South Africa (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- World cup to change perception of South Africa: Zuma - May 10, 2010
- Zuma lauds Hindus' role in South African struggle - Jun 01, 2012
- With heavy heart, a proud South Africa bid adieu to the world - Jul 10, 2010
- Soccer World Cup uniting South Africa: Zuma - Jun 03, 2010
- Football world cup to be South Africa's 'defining moment' - Apr 22, 2010
- Zuma hails South Africans for historic, vibrant World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Dazzling fireworks lit up Cape Town sky to welcome IPL 2 (Lead) - Apr 19, 2009
- South Africans real stars of World Cup: Zuma - Jul 11, 2010
- India, South Africa to hold joint naval exercise - Apr 14, 2011
- FIFA allocates $699 mn for Russia 2018 - Apr 05, 2012
- Manmohan, Zuma dabble in football diplomacy - Jun 04, 2010
- Zuma taunts West, says Africa is treated with respect in BRICS - Mar 29, 2012
- South African Indian's business thriving on World Cup - Jun 27, 2010
- Blatter hails South Africa for successfully hosting World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: african national congress, bollywood stars, closing ceremony, confederations cup, elections in india, fifa world cup, fillip, general elections, household name, jacob zuma, organisers, preity zinta, premier league, rainbow country, shilpa shetty, south african economy, south african president, south african tourism, stadiums, zuma