IOC to intensify crack down on dope offendersAugust 3rd, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 3 (Xinhua) International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge has said the recent rise in positive dope cases is a result of an intensified crackdown on drug cheats and that IOC will make sure that maximum dope tests are conducted on the athletes before they touch down in the Olympic village. According to Rogge, about 15 to 17 drug cheats have been caught just weeks before the Beijing Olympics.
“This is the result of a deliberate strategy and policy,” Rogge told reporters.
“The IOC has asked the international federations to conduct maximum doping tests before the athletes reached the Olympic village.
“I am pleased to see it’s successful,” he said.
A total of 4,500 doping tests will be conducted at the Beijing Games, up from 3,600 at Athens.
- Rogge terms London Olympics 'happy & glorious' - Aug 13, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- IOC 'sad' at dope suspicion over Chinese swimmer - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast suspended for doping (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Albanian lifter banned from London for steroids - Jul 28, 2012
- Horses, vintage cars lead CWG baton relay (Afternoon Lead Games) - Oct 02, 2010
- Drugs cheats warned as Olympics testing well underway - Feb 10, 2010
- Russian Terenteva rapped for doping violation - Feb 12, 2010
- IOC Chairman upbeat about Olympics - Jul 22, 2012
- IOC hears of positive doping tests ahead of Games - Feb 11, 2010
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Over 100 athletes got London doping bans: WADA - Jul 26, 2012
- IOC chief calls for fair Games, praises Vancouver - Feb 10, 2010
- IOC bans Syrian hurdler for doping - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: athens, beijing olympics, cheats, crackdown, deliberate strategy, dope tests, games, international federations, international olympic committee, ioc president jacques rogge, olympic village, olympics, xinhua