IOC president ‘concerned’ over Tibet, torch relay violenceApril 7th, 2008 - 6:45 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, April 7 (DPA) International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge Monday said he was concerned about unrest in China’s Tibetan areas and violence by supporters of Tibetan independence during the torch relay for the 2008 Olympics. “I’m very concerned with the international situation and what’s happening in Tibet,” Rogge said at the opening of a meeting of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) in Beijing.
“The torch relay has been targeted. The International Olympic Committee has expressed its serious concern and calls for a rapid, peaceful resolution in Tibet,” Rogge said.
Rogge said violent protests were “not compatible with the values of the torch relay or the Olympic Games”.
He called for unity in the Olympic movement and said there was “no momentum for a generalized boycott” of the Beijing games.
“We need the unity of the Olympic movement to help us overcome the difficulties. Our major responsibility is for offering good games to the athletes who deserve them,” Rogge said.
- IOC chief calls for unity of Olympic movement - Apr 07, 2008
- Rogge terms London Olympics 'happy & glorious' - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- India asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsor - Feb 27, 2012
- Putin seeks fight against doping, sports gambling - Apr 14, 2012
- IOC President Jacques Rogge bids to stay in power - Sep 24, 2009
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- Rogge praises Youth Games, expects top athletes in 2014 - Aug 26, 2010
- IOC defends Dow, will remain Olympic sponsor - Feb 16, 2012
- IOC defends Dow, IOA doesn't agree (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- IOC respects Lukashenko ban: Rogge - Jul 27, 2012
- IOC chief dismisses Iran claim that London Olympics logo is racist - Mar 02, 2011
- IOC was surprised by Tibet unrest: Rogge - Dec 31, 2008
- IOC Chairman upbeat about Olympics - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 2008 olympics, anoc, beijing, boycott, good games, international olympic committee, international situation, ioc president jacques rogge, momentum, national olympic committees, olympic games, olympic movement, olympics, peaceful resolution, tibet, tibetan areas, tibetan independence, torch relay, unrest, violent protests