IOC medical official testifies in Greek doping probeSeptember 30th, 2008 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, Sep 30 (DPA) A Greek judicial investigation continued Tuesday into a spate of doping cases involving the country’s athletes.Prosecutors heard evidence from Patrick Schamasch, medical director of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Greek television reported.
Schamasch testified on cases involving Fani Halkia, the 2004 Olympic 400-metre hurdles champion, sprinter Tassos Gousis and their coach George Panagiotopoulos.
The IOC last month filed a lawsuit against Panagiotopoulos, requesting his prosecution in Greece.
Halkia and Gousis failed a doping test Aug 7, the day before the start of the Beijing Olympics.
Fifteen Greek athletes were tested positive for the steroid Methyltrienolone in the three months ahead of the Beijing Olympics, including another runner, 11 weightlifters and a swimmer.
Halkia and Gousis, who were excluded from the Beijing Games, have denied doping involvement.
- Albanian lifter banned from London for steroids - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast provisionally suspended for doping - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Russian cyclist Baranova expelled for doping - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast suspended for doping (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Halkia is the latest Greek doping suspect, leaves Olympics - Aug 17, 2008
- IOC denies Thanou sprint gold - Dec 10, 2009
- I thought I'd got away, says dope-tainted cyclist - Aug 04, 2012
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- IOC 'sad' at dope suspicion over Chinese swimmer - Jul 31, 2012
- B-samples of swimmers, athletes also positive - Sep 08, 2010
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- CAS lift suspension from Chambers and Millar - Apr 30, 2012
- Indian athletes should do blood tests every month: Johnson - Jul 30, 2011
- First lead: Eighth win for Phelps; four golds for Britain and China - Aug 17, 2008
- St. Kitts sprinter Williams sent home after testing positive - Jul 29, 2012