Internet campaign alleges George VI ‘had Nazi sympathies’January 17th, 2011 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 17 (ANI): An online campaign has said that George VI, the father of the Queen, had Nazi sympathies.
According to the Hollywood email, which is based on a recent entry on a blog on the website of New York magazine, he actively “stymied” efforts by Jews fleeing Nazi Germany to settle in British-controlled Palestine.
The accusations follow the recent movie ‘The King’s Speech’ which stars Colin Firth. The movie has won acclaim and box office success on both sides of the Atlantic for Firth’s portrayal of George VI, who tries to overcome his stammer.
“I’m an academy member, and there are a lot of us who won’t vote for “King’s Speech” for this reason, which was in New York magazine,” the Telegraph quoted Scott Feinberg, a Hollywood commentator whose blog it was, as talking of the anonymous message he received on his post.
“When it came to actively working to stymie Jews fleeing Hitler’s Germany, George actually communicated quite eloquently,” it added.
Feinberg said, “Is the email that I received part of some sort of coordinated smear campaign that is being orchestrated by someone with a vested interest in stunting the awards prospects of The King’s Speech, or is it really from an academy member who would like others to take note of documented facts about the film’s subject that are not reported in the film? I can’t say for certain.”
Historian Andrew Roberts said, “It’s perfectly true that [the King] wanted to restrict Jewish immigration into Palestine in 1939 … but that was government policy at the time, however short sighted it was in view of what was going on in Europe.
“But to extrapolate from that that the Royal family was anti-Semitic in the 1930s is ludicrous.” (ANI)
- Colin Firth honoured with Variety's International Star award - Dec 13, 2010
- I had no books on stammering to help with role: Colin Firth (Interview) - Feb 20, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' wins top honour at Toronto festival - Sep 21, 2010
- Colin Firth wants to be a baddie in 'Doctor Who' - Jan 22, 2011
- Colin Firth wins Actor Achievement award for 'The King's Speech' - Jan 11, 2011
- Colin Firth wins best actor for 'The King's Speech' - Feb 28, 2011
- How game of golf won 'The King's Speech' its Oscars - Mar 01, 2011
- "The King's Speech" Reigns At The Producers Guild Of America Awards - Jan 24, 2011
- Colin Firth Bags The Best Actor In A Drama At Golden Globes 2011 - Jan 17, 2011
- Firth fought physical battle while doing new movie - Dec 13, 2010
- Firth, Portman get best actor awards at Golden Globe - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Toy Story 3' wins best animated feature film Oscar - Feb 28, 2011
- Colin Firth And Natalie Portman Won The 2011 Screen Actors’ Guild Awards (SAG) - Jan 31, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' leads Oscar race with 12 nominations - Jan 25, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' stutter was agonising for Colin Firth - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,