Internal strife mars South African cricket teamMarch 17th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, March 17 (IANS) All is not well in the South African cricket camp after the heated clash between opener Ashwell Prince and some of his Test teammates during a domestic match this week.
Prince has just returned to the national side after missing the last five Tests and is said to be involved in a heated, abusive slanging match with A. B. de Villiers and Paul Harris.
Prince had been named acting captain for this week’s third Test in Cape Town, but was removed from the position the following day.
Sources said Prince did not want to return as an opener and demanded the decision be reviewed, saying that as acting captain he should have a say in it, reports Herald Sun.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola was outraged at the demands and Prince was replaced as skipper by Jacques Kallis.
Mark Boucher acted as captain during the second Test when Graeme Smith was out injured with a broken hand. Neil McKenzie filled in for Smith during a similar situation in Sydney, but was axed for the third Test.
Smith is furious at the situation and has fallen out with selectors, but will be in the dressing room during the third Test. South Africa trails 2-0 in the series.
Prince is said to be upset with De Villiers stay in the No. 5 spot that was Prince’s until he broke his hand. Now he and newcomer Imraan Khan know that one of them will be dropped when Smith returns.
“As an outsider you could see it as a playoff for one spot. The player who gets the higher score stays in the team,” Prince said.
- Prince clashes with de Villiers, Harris before Cape Town Test - Mar 18, 2009
- More trouble for Majola over unauthorised IPL payments - Mar 26, 2012
- Feud derailing South Africa's World Cup hopes - Jan 24, 2011
- South African cricketer Norman Gordon celebrates 100th birthday - Aug 06, 2011
- Cricket South Africa to probe revelations in Gibbs autobiography - Nov 04, 2010
- South African sports minister to meet CSA bosses - Apr 26, 2012
- South Africa name unchanged Test squad for England series - Jun 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs South Africa, Third Test, Day one - Jan 03, 2011
- India elect to field against South Africa - Jan 02, 2011
- Smith surpasses Cronje's captaincy record - Jan 15, 2011
- Tea scoreboard: India vs South Africa, Third Test, Day four - Jan 05, 2011
- Cricket South Africa begins search for new Proteas head coach - Dec 23, 2010
- Smith hints at split between Proteas management, players - Mar 17, 2009
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs South Africa, Third Test, Day four - Jan 05, 2011
- Ashwell Prince dumped, Jacques Kallis to captain Proteas - Mar 12, 2009
Tags: cape town, cricket camp, cricket south africa, de villiers, dressing room, graeme smith, herald sun, internal strife, jacques kallis, mark boucher, melbourne march, neil mckenzie, outsider, paul harris, second test, selectors, skipper, south african cricket, south african cricket team, third test