Interfaith vigils across US for gurdwara victimsAugust 9th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Oak Creek (Wisconsin), Aug 9 (IANS) In a clear message of solidarity, Americans of all backgrounds and faith held candlelight vigils from coast to coast to mourn the victims of the gurdwara rampage here.
The Sikh Coalition estimated that more than 30 vigils were held across the US Wednesday evening as community groups pushed for action to ensure that no group suffers a similar fate.
More such vigils were planned in the coming days, the coalition said, expressing hope that these “will hasten our collective journey to stamp out hate and intolerance in our nation”.
One gathering was held near the White House. Many of the estimated 200 people wore ribbons coloured orange and blue to symbolize the identity of the Sikh community.
Many wrote notes on a sign that had the names of the victims and also read “United Against Hate”. These will be sent to the Wisconsin gurdwara.
New Yorkers gathered in the Union Square. Vigils were also held in Bay Area, Las Vegas, Beth-El, Poway, California, St. Peters, San Jose, Spokane Valley, Washington and Vancouver in Canada.
- Gurdwara shooting victims remembered at vigils - Aug 08, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- FBI asked to track anti-Sikh hate crimes - Sep 20, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- US senators call for Sikh hate crime tracking - Aug 24, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI looks for motive, India shocked (Fourth Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Top US law official calls gurdwara shooting a hate crime - Aug 11, 2012
- India shocked as FBI hunts for gurdwara killings' motive (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sikh Americans show solidarity after gurdwara tragedy - Aug 07, 2012
- US House resolution for tracking hate crimes against Sikhs - Aug 15, 2012
- US community groups seek hate crime hearings - Aug 22, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet families of gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 19, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: california st, candlelight vigils, collective journey, community groups, faith, fate, las vegas, new yorkers, oak creek wisconsin, poway california, rampage, ribbons, sikh community, solidarity, spokane valley washington, st peters, union square, vancouver, wednesday evening, white house