Inter slow down march towards Serie A titleMay 11th, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 11 (DPA) Inter Milan slowed down their march towards a fourth straight Serie A football title Sunday as hosting Chievo levelled goals from Hernan Crespo and Mario Balotelli in an intense 2-2 draw.
With three games left in the Italian Serie A, Inter have now a seven-point lead over AC Milan, who had defender Giuseppe Favalli dismissed late in a 1-1 draw with third-place guests Juventus.
The late big match at the Giuseppe Meazza in the second half saw Vincenzo Iaquinta’s diving header level a counter-attack flick from Milan’s Dutch veteran Clarence Seedorf.
Earlier Sunday, Inter missed the suspended Swedish star Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but scored very early in the game through his Argentine substitute Hernan Crespo.
The Argentine forward in the third minute flicked home the first ball he touched after goalkeeper Stefano Sorrentino failed to grab a fast drive from Esteban Cambiasso.
It was not to be an easy game for Inter despite the early lead as the Verona hosts showed no respect and pressed forward until they levelled in the 27th minute through a smashing drive from Michele Marcolini.
Inter’s defence seemed to nap as the midfielder had the leisure to control the ball outside the area and shoot it into the corner to Julio Cesar’s left.
Increasing pressure from Inter was rewarded in the 65th minute, when the young Balotelli put his side ahead again, letting the ball bounce on the turf before slamming an impressive volley under the bar.
The undaunted hosts clinched a second equaliser in the 73rd minute through a precise low volley from Brazilian midfielder Luciano.
Fourth place and a last available Champions League are currently in the hands of Fiorentina after their 2-0 win at Catania, while Genoa drew 1-1 at 10-man Atalanta and lie now three points adrift from the Florence side.
Cagliari and Roma drew 2-2, Siena beat Palermo 1-0 and Torino remained one point above the three-team drop zone after drawing 1-1 with Bologna, who lie above Lecce and tail-enders Reggina.
Bologna remain mired in the lower reaches despite the 22 goals by league top scorer Marco Di Vaio, who levelled from the spot a previous penalty converted by Alessandro Rosina.
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Milan held at home by Roma - Mar 02, 2009
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Inter Milan go top through hammering of Genoa - Oct 18, 2009
- Juventus held by Genoa in Serie A - Sep 25, 2009
- Inter Milan drop to second after loss at Sampdoria - Sep 27, 2009
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Foreign players auctioned for Indian soccer league - Jan 30, 2012
- Inter Milan celebrate title triumph with an easy win - May 18, 2009
- Ronaldinho hat-trick sees AC Milan close in on Inter - Jan 18, 2010
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: ac milan, cambiasso, clarence seedorf, drawing 1, drop zone, early in the game, equaliser, football title, giuseppe favalli, giuseppe meazza, header level, hernan crespo, inter milan, italian serie, julio cesar, michele marcolini, seven point, smashing drive, stefano sorrentino, vincenzo iaquinta