Inter Milan retain wide lead after showdown with RomaFebruary 28th, 2008 - 11:58 pm ICT by admin
Milan, Feb 28 (DPA) Inter Milan secured their supremacy in the Italian Serie A Wednesday rallying to clinch a late 1-1 draw against visitors Roma. Both sides ended with 10 men a high-voltage game that left Inter unbeaten at the top on 61 points and a nine-point lead over Roma with 13 games left.
A classy first-half volley from captain Francesco Totti temporarily pushed Roma three points closer to their opponents, who appeared to be on the ropes when an injury on 65 minutes sidelined Brazilian defender Maxwell, who could not be replaced.
Inter had come close earlier as the post denied a spectacular volley from Argentine Hernan Crespo, who in the first half acted as a single striker due to the absences of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Julio Cruz.
Coach Roberto Mancini at half time brought on David Suazo and the young Mario Balotelli for a three-pronged attack as Roma came close to beefing up their lead with hammering attacks and chances missed by Alberto Aquilani and Simone Perrotta.
The dismissal of French defender Philippe Mexes with six minutes left allowed Inter to increase their pressure until Argentine Xavier Zanetti equalised with a drive from the limit of the area.
“Looking at how the game was going, it is good to have drawn,” Mancini said. “We suffered when we had to, then we managed to draw.”
Juventus are third on 48 points after drawing 0-0 with Torino Tuesday and lead Fiorentina by four points. Fiorentina Wednesday edged troubled Livorno 1-0.
AC Milan lie fifth after a 1-1 draw against a struggling Catania and trail Fiorentina by two points in the race for the four available Champions League berths.
Udinese remain sixth despite a 2-0 defeat at lowly Parma, while Sampdoria were held on 35 points as Atalanta beat them 4-1, thanks to a brace from captain Cristiano Doni.
Genoa lie level with cross-town Sampdoria after a 2-0 win over 10-man Napoli and Palermo beat Empoli 2-0.
Lazio beat second-last Reggina 1-0 and Siena also won 1-0 over bottom-side Cagliari.
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Juventus hammer Sampdoria, move into second place in Serie A - Oct 29, 2009
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Inter Milan go top through hammering of Genoa - Oct 18, 2009
- Zanetti apologises for Inter's worst performance - Feb 06, 2012
- Ronaldinho hat-trick sees AC Milan close in on Inter - Jan 18, 2010
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Roma set eyes on cup final after victory over Udinese - Feb 05, 2010
- Inter Milan celebrate title triumph with an easy win - May 18, 2009
- Inter Milan held to draw by gritty Napoli - Feb 15, 2010
Tags: absences, ac milan, alberto aquildavid suazo, berths, cross town, fiorentina, four points, half volley, hernan crespo, inter milan, italian serie, julio cruz, philippe mexes, pronged attack, reggina, roberto mancini, simone perrotta, six minutes, zlatan ibrahimovic