Inter Milan keep up pace with win at LazioDecember 7th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Dec 7 (DPA) A 3-0 drubbing of Lazio confirmed Inter Milan’s supremacy in the Italian Serie A pushing them nine points clear of runners-up Juventus and AC Milan.A header from Argentine defender Walter Samuel gave the Italian champions an early lead, which was followed by an own goal and another winning header from Swedish star Zlatan Ibrahimovic Saturday.
Lazio goalkeeper Juan Carrizo stood no chance when the forehead of his compatriot Samuel connected with a cross that Ghana’s Sulley Muntari centred from the left flank.
The second-minute goal was a bad blow for the Rome hosts, who had a first reaction on eight minutes as young French defender Modibo Diakhite narrowly failed to nod home an inviting cross from Pasquale Foggia.
A minute later, Lazio’s Serbian midfielder Aleksandar Kolarov gave a sample of his firing skills slamming a drive narrowly wide to the right of Julio Cesar, who then watched a defender deflect a Lorenzo De Silvestri drive.
The young Argentine Mauro Zarate was blocked before managing to fire home off a cross from Goran Pandev, a Macedonian striker who hurt himself in the action and was replaced by Lazio veteran Tommaso Rocchi.
Foggia, another fast, diminutive forward like Zarate, fired wide on 45 minutes, shortly before Diakhite marred a good performance stunning his goalkeeper as he tried to prevent substitute Hernan Crespo to deflect a low cross from Douglas Maicon.
The fourth own goal to benefit Inter since the start of the season turned the game into a downhill ride for the Milanese guests, who secured their win on 55 minutes as Ibrahimovic nodded home a free kick from Esteban Cambiasso.
Lazio virtually threw in the towel in the remainder of the game, with Rocchi trying a drive that did not worry Julio Cesar, who dove to deflect a nasty shot fired from Zarate after getting the best of two defenders.
Inter have now 36 points from 15 games, holding a nine-point lead over Juventus, who are away to Lecce Sunday, and over Milan before a home game to Catania.
Earlier Saturday, Frenchman Jeremy Menez was the hero for Roma as he scored a second-half winner to secure a 1-0 win over Chievo and register his side’s fourth win in succession.
- Lazio stun champions Inter Milan in Italian Super Cup - Aug 08, 2009
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Inter draw 0-0 with Roma in Italian Serie A - Sep 18, 2011
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Inter Milan beat Catania to retain Serie A lead - Oct 25, 2009
- Maicon's brace helps Inter Milan edge Siena - Dec 21, 2008
- Inter Milan held to draw by gritty Napoli - Feb 15, 2010
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Inter Milan go top through drubbing of Napoli - Sep 24, 2009
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012