Inter Milan draw at Genoa with 10 menMarch 20th, 2008 - 2:33 pm ICT by admin
Milan, March 20 (DPA) Inter Milan drew 1-1 at Genoa with 10 men gaining a seven-point lead on second-place Roma in Italy’s premier football league, who lost 3-2 in their city derby against Lazio. Inter have 68 points with nine Serie A games left ahead of a home game Saturday with third-placed Juventus.
Inter Wednesday started well at the Luigi Ferraris with Zlatan Ibrahimovic firing high before squaring on 11 minutes a low cross for an easy flick home from Honduras’ David Suazo.
Controlling the game was easy for Inter only until the 40th minute, when they lost the young Portuguese Pele to a second yellow card.
Marco Borriello came on for Genoa after the break and aimed a high header followed by a feeble one at 62nd minute.
The young striker, who now leads the scorers’ table on 17 goals, volleyed home a spectacular overhead kick after Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar managed to save a fast drive from Croat Ivan Juric.
The Rome derby saw an early pressing from Lazio hold Roma in their midfield, and on seven minutes Alexander Doni had to slap against the bar a free kick from Aleksandar Kolarov.
Luck, however, lent Roma a big hand on 31 minutes when an involuntary deflection from Brazilian Rodrigo Taddei stunned Marco Ballotta.
The goalkeeper stood no chance when a clearance from Swiss defender Valon Behrami bounced off the Brazilian’s chest to the net behind him.
Lazio did not relent and levelled before the break through a close-range flick from Macedonian Goran Pandev. Another chance went abegging for Lazio on 55 minutes as Serbian Alexandar Kolarov’s free kick grazed the post to the left of Doni.
A spot kick on 57 minutes allowed Tommaso Rocchi to put Lazio in the lead as Brazilian defender Juan floored Rolando Bianchi, but Simone Perrotta equalized for Roma four minutes later with a precise low shot.
Fast and frequent reversals inflamed the Stadio Olimpico until Behrami sealed Lazio’s win in stoppage time firing home from a few metres off.
A lacklustre Juventus drew 0-0 at lowly Empoli as a brace from Argentine Ezequiel Lavezzi sank fourth-place Fiorentina in a 2-0 defeat. AC Milan also lost 2-1 at home to Sampdoria, remaining four points behind the last available Champions League berth.
Udinese won 1-0 at Torino, lowly Parma beat Palermo 2-1 through an Igor Budan brace in a game that both sides ended with 10 men.
Bottom side Cagliari won 1-0 over 10-man Atalanta, Catania and Siena drew 0-0, and Livorno played out a 1-1 draw with Reggina, who lay second-last with Empoli.
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Juve, Milan win to keep title race open - Apr 26, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Ronaldinho hat-trick sees AC Milan close in on Inter - Jan 18, 2010
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- AC Milan only chasers of Inter Milan after win at Juventus - Jan 11, 2010
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Inter win, Klose salvages Lazio in Serie A - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: alexandar, alexander doni, croat, free kick, goran pandev, home game, inter milan, julio cesar, juric, lazio inter, luigi ferraris, overhead kick, reversals, rocchi, rodrigo taddei, rolando bianchi, simone perrotta, stadio olimpico, stoppage time, yellow card