Intense tussle among top teams in ICC rankingsMarch 20th, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, March 20 (IANS) A keen tussle is on the cards among four teams placed from the second to fifth spots in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Test rankings, separated by only four points. Australia is way ahead in the ranking charts with 141 points followed by India (111), Sri Lanka (109) South Africa (109) England (107).
Sri Lanka will drop to the fifth spot if it loses its series against the West Indies starting in Guyana Saturday.
If Sri Lanka loses the two-match series 2-0 or 1-0, it will fall two places from third to fifth, below South Africa and England. If England wins the final Test against New Zealand, it will gain one ratings point and put pressure on India, Sri Lanka and South Africa.
Stakes will also be high in the three-Test series between South Africa and India starting March 26. For India it will be an opportunity to increase their points and make sure that South Africa do not close in on them.
There is a mini battle down the ranks as well. Pakistan are in the sixth position while New Zealand is seventh separated by just one point.
If New Zealand draws or wins the final Test against England at Napier, it will move ahead of Pakistan. But if it loses, it will fall two points behind.
However, defeat for England means that it will lose its three points. Even a draw will see it slip one point to 106.
Australia is still way out in front at the top of the table, leading by 30 ratings points. Changes to the LG ICC Test Championship are made only at the end of each Test series.
LG ICC Test Championship:
Rank Teams Rating
1 Australia 141
2 India 111
3 Sri Lanka 109
4 South Africa 109
5 England 107
6 Pakistan 94
7 New Zealand 93
8 West Indies 73
9 Bangladesh 1
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- India drop to third place in ICC Test rankings - Jan 28, 2012
- Australia goes ahead of India in Test rankings - Apr 29, 2012
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- India top Test rankings, England challenge Proteas - Jan 07, 2011
- India rise to second spot in Test rankings - Nov 22, 2011
- Test rankings: England on top, India third - Apr 07, 2012
- England consolidate their lead in Test rankings - Jun 12, 2012
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- India consolidates No.1 ranking in Tests as Australia slips to fifth position - Oct 13, 2010
- Younus Khan jumps 11 places in ICC rankings (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- India maintains top spot in ICC Test Championship - Jan 07, 2011
- South Africa retains second spot in ICC Test ranking despite draws against Pak - Nov 25, 2010
- India move to third spot in ICC ODI rankings - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: australia, bangladesh, cards, final test, four points, India, international cricket council, keen tussle, match, napier, new zealand, pakistan, rank teams, sixth position, south africa, sri lanka, test championship, test rankings, test series, west indies