Intelligence reports warn of Maoist attacks in Chhattisgarh

March 17th, 2008 - 3:36 pm ICT by admin  

Raipur, March 17 (IANS) Thousands of police and paramilitary troopers deployed in Chhattisgarh’s Maoist stronghold Bastar region were put on high alert in the wake of fresh intelligence inputs that warned of major attacks on forces and civilians bases, officials said Monday. “Maoist guerrillas are desperate to go for major strikes either on police posts or relief camps in the state’s extreme southern Bijapur and neighbouring Dantewada districts,” a top official of the police intelligence department told IANS Monday, referring to recent inputs.

Bijapur and Dantewada along with Kanker, Bastar and Narayanpur districts form the hilly Bastar region of about 40,000 sq km that is rich in iron ore reserves but has witnessed major attacks by rebels since June 2005 including the killing of 55 policemen in March last year in Bijapur.

The officer said that 36,991 people from 201 villages in Dantewada district and 10,949 people from 275 villages in Bijapur are living in 23 government-run makeshift relief camps due to life threats from Maoist after they launched a civil militia movement, Salwa Judum, against insurgents in June 2005.

“Forces in Bastar either stationed at police camps or relief camps for civilians’ security are always on high alert but senior police officials commanding security in Bastar have now been briefed about the latest inputs and are advised to further strengthen security,” the source said.

Police officials say that about 4,000 hardcore Maoists carrying AK-47 rifles, rocket launchers, LMG and SLR are active in the southern tip of the state, backed by another 35,000-40,000 second-rank Maoists with guns, bows and arrows and other traditional weapons.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |