Insurgents seeking uranium to make ‘dirty bombs’: ColombiaMarch 5th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by admin
Geneva, March 5 (IANS) Colombia’s Vice President Francisco Santos has told the UN Conference on Disarmament here that his country’s largest leftist insurgency group was trying to obtain uranium to make a “dirty bomb”. Santos said two computers seized in the raid by the Colombian military in Ecuadorian jungles across the border last week contained information about the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC)’s “negotiation for radioactive material”, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Wednesday.
This was direct evidence of the group’s plans to obtain the materials to make bombs, he said.
“This information shows that the terrorist group constitutes a very serious threat not only to our country but to the entire Andean and Latin American region. The information is still being analysed,” he said.
Bogota has not released any of the data it claims to have retrieved from the seized computers but says it would invite experts from the Organisation of American States to review the files.
The FARC, which has a large part of the country under its control, is on the terror list of the US and the European Union.
Bogota gets some $500 million a year in military aid from the US to fight insurgency.
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- 10 police officers killed in Colombia - Sep 11, 2010
- 2 children die in Colombia landmine blast - Apr 20, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian military kills about 60 alleged rebels - Sep 21, 2010
- Female Colombian snipers defending Gaddafi in Libya - Apr 15, 2011
- Ten FARC members killed in army operation in southwestern Colombia - Mar 25, 2011
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: colombian military, conference on disarmament, direct evidence, dirty bomb, dirty bombs, efe news agency, farc, insurgency, insurgents, jungles, latin american region, military aid, negotiation, organisation of american states, radioactive material, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, terrorist group, two computers, uranium