Insurgent responsible for German embassy bombing killedJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Jan 23 (DPA) A high-ranking militant believed responsible for the suicide bombing of the German embassy in Kabul earlier this month was killed and another one captured, the international ISAF forces said Friday.The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) supported Afghan forces in raiding compounds in the Afghan capital and the neighbouring Logar province in the night from Thursday, ISAF said in a statement.
One bomb-maker was detained and “a senior insurgent commander killed”, ISAF said without providing further detail on the militants.
No civilians were harmed, the statement said, adding that further information was to be released Saturday.
A suicide bomber killed himself and five other people, including a US soldier, in front of the German embassy Jan 17, when he blew up an explosives-laden vehicle. Thirty people, among them Afghan and German embassy staff, were injured.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Afghan MP among 20 killed in attack on funeral - Dec 26, 2011
- Five militants killed, 22 held in Afghanistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Suicide bombers attack Kabul shortly after Obama's visit - May 03, 2012
- Terror attack on Kabul supermarket kills 9 - Jan 29, 2011
- Kabul fighting over, all attackers killed - May 02, 2012
- Kabul attack not to change US Afghan strategy: Pentagon - Nov 02, 2011
- Afghan attacks show NATO's failure: Karzai - Apr 16, 2012
- Two dead, 100 injured in Afghan suicide bombing - Sep 11, 2011
- Afghan provincial governor succumbs to suicide blast injuries - May 29, 2011
- Four killed, 31 hurt in Afghan car bombing (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: afghan capital, bomb, civilians, compounds, embassy staff, explosives, german embassy, international security assistance, isaf, kabul, militants, nato, suicide bomber, suicide bombing, taliban, us soldier