Inmates set prison on fire in TurkeyJuly 15th, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, July 15 (IANS) Inmates of a prison in southeastern Turkey set ablaze their jail Sunday morning, local media reported.
According to Today’s Zaman newspaper website, the incident took place at a prison in Mardin province. It could not be immediately ascertained how many people exactly had been taken to hospitals after three ambulances arrived at the venue.
Firemen later extinguished the fire in the prison, where some of the convicts have close links to a pro-Kurdish party, the report said.
According to the province’s deputy Governor Mufit Gultekin, the convicts started the fire in four wards of the prison to protest incidents in southeastern province of Diyarbakir.
On Saturday, Diyarbakir riot police fired water cannon and teargas as they clashed with stone-pelting protesters supporting the Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK).
The PKK, listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and the European Union, took up arms in 1984 to create an ethnic homeland in southeastern Turkey. Since then over 40,000 people have been killed in conflicts involving the group.
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Abducted British tourist released in Turkey - Jun 04, 2012
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Turkey seized 11 tonnes of hashish in 2011 - Dec 17, 2011
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- 6 killed in Turkey clash - Jun 22, 2010
- 5 Turkish soldiers killed in terrorist attack - Dec 07, 2009
- Stray bullet kills man after Eid prayers in Turkey - Aug 20, 2012
- 13 held in Turkey for blast that killed nine - Aug 24, 2012
- 44 killed in attack on Turkish wedding (Second Lead) - May 05, 2009
- 41 killed in shooting at Turkish wedding (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Eight killed, 60 injured in Turkey blast - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: ambulances, ankara, convicts, deputy governor, diyarbakir, firemen, inmates, kurdish party, kurdish workers party, local media, pkk, protesters, riot police, southeastern turkey, sunday morning, teargas, terrorist organisation, wards, water cannon, zaman