Injury forces Andrew Flintoff out of IPL tournamentApril 24th, 2009 - 9:20 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town, April 24 (ANI): Andrew Flintoff has returned to his home from the Indian Premier League to undergo surgery on a torn meniscus in his right knee, a Cricinfo.com report stated.
While appearing for Chennai Super Kings in the ongoing IPL tournament, Flintoff felt discomfort in his right knee. The Chennai medical staff immediately contacted ECB Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Peirce.
After scans were conducted of Flintoff’s right knee at a Durban hospital, a slight medial meniscal tear in the knee was detected. After these scans were viewed by Nick Peirce, radiologists the surgeon it was decided that Flintoff should return to London.
Flintoff will undergo an operation early next week and surgeons are confident that he should recover from the keyhole surgery within three to five weeks.
Clearly this is a huge disappointment for both the player and the IPL team,” Peirce said. “This sort of degenerative injury though is one that could have happened at any time any where. The procedures we put in place meant that the ECB medical staff were alerted about the problem immediately and we thank Chennai for their co operation.”
Hugh Morris, the ECB’s managing director of cricket, added: “Andrew has been extremely unlucky with injuries but if there is one saving grace it is that the injury has occured now rather than on the eve of either the ICC World Twenty20 or the Ashes.
“Having the surgery now means that Flintoff should be available for both those events although he is certain to miss the Test series against the West Indies.” (ANI)
- Flintoff flies home for knee surgery - Apr 24, 2009
- Collingwood to undergo knee surgery - Mar 23, 2011
- Injured Flintoff could be back in just seven days - Apr 26, 2009
- Bracken to sue CA over knee injury - Feb 09, 2012
- Pressure increases on England team after Pietersen's injury - Jul 23, 2009
- Injured Oram to undergo surgery next week - Aug 27, 2010
- Flintoff in danger of missing a part of Ashes series: Gough. - Apr 27, 2009
- Flintoff not to play for Lancashire in 2010 - Aug 03, 2010
- Focus on cartilage injuries at India meet - Nov 13, 2011
- I don't known when I will be fit: Flintoff - Jun 02, 2009
- McKay out of World Cup reckoning - Jan 13, 2011
- Flintoff out of CSK squad for Champions League - Aug 11, 2010
- Injured Shahzad ruled out of Trent Bridge Test against Pakistan - Jul 29, 2010
- Former Liverpool defender Aurelio out with injury - Jul 01, 2012
- KP ignored ECB medical advice, aggravated injury in IPL - Jul 26, 2009
Tags: andrew flintoff, april 24, cape town, cricket, disappointment, dr nick, ecb, eve, icc world twenty20, ipl, keyhole surgery, managing director, medical officer, medical staff, peirce, premier league, saving grace, test series, torn meniscus, west indies