Injured Sharapova pulls out of OlympicsAugust 1st, 2008 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 1 (Xinhua) World number three women’s tennis player Maria Sharapova has announced on her website that she is pulling out of the Beijing Olympics due to a right shoulder injury. “After Wednesday’s match I knew there was something seriously wrong with my shoulder,” said Sharapova, who gave a walk-over to Japanese Ai Sugiyama in the third round of the Montreal Cup Thursday.
“After taking a few exams and MRIs this morning, the doctors found two small tears in the tendons of my shoulder. I’m currently packing up really quick to hop on the plane and head to New York for a second opinion, but I wanted to let all of you know first that there’s no chance of me competing in Beijing.
“There are so many mixed feelings because last night they were almost positive there was something wrong with my nerve, which could have ultimately been much more serious.
“But after the tests this morning, for the first time in a while, they were able to give me a different answer and a different problem.
“But on the other hand this is something that needs a lot of time to heal, which really hurts me to say that I have to miss the Olympics.”
Playing her first match since a shock second-round defeat by compatriot Alla Kudryavtseva at Wimbledon in June, Sharapova twice received treatment on her shoulder during her three-hour battle with Poland’s Marta Domachowska in Montreal Wednesday.
“The timing is so unfortunate and this makes me more sad than anything,” she added.
The tennis competition at the Olympic Games is scheduled for Aug 11-17.
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- China Open: Foot injury forces Azarenka to concede pre-quarterfinal - Oct 06, 2011
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- Federer expects Olympics to be something special - Jul 23, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Sharapovas dress-sense caused her demise at Wimbledon - Jun 27, 2008
- Sania goes down to Shuai in Family Circle Cup - Apr 09, 2011
- Ill Sharapova out of Canadian Open - Aug 09, 2012
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- China's Zheng tags herself 'lightweight tennis champion' - Jul 01, 2012
- Olympic champion Rice happy to focus on preparation - Jul 24, 2012
- Oz swimming star Rice may go for shoulder surgery - Aug 10, 2010
Tags: ai sugiyama, alla kudryavtseva, beijing olympics, compatriot, maria sharapova, marta domachowska, match, mixed feelings, montreal, nerve, olympic games, olympics, second opinion, shoulder injury, tendons, tennis competition, tennis player, three women, wimbledon, xinhua