Injured Karthikeyan misses Le MansJune 14th, 2009 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Le Mans, June 14 (IANS) India’s Narain Karthikeyan dislocated his left shoulder minutes before the start of the Le Mans 24-hour car race here Saturday night and was forced to pull out of the event.
Disaster struck Karthikeyan as he climbed the pitwall on way to the washroom about 10 minutes before the start of the race, but slipped off the wall and dislocated his left shoulder.
After medication and his hand being put in sling, he was advised 10 days rest. His absence reduced the Audi team to just two drivers - Andre Lotterer and Charles Zwolsman who eventually finished overall seventh in the Kolles Audi R10 TDi car.
“I was so pumped up to do this race. The Le Mans circuit is such an incredible track. Our No.14 Kolles Audi R10 TDi is a fantastically designed and prepared car. I have been training so hard, and all the team has been working flat out for so many weeks just for this weekend. To get injured minutes before the start of the race, on the grid, is the most frustrating experience of my racing career,” Karthikeyan said.
“However, I have to now focus on my physiotherapy and recovery so that I can be 100% fit for the next race of the Le Mans Series which will be at the Algarve Circuit in Portugal, a track I know quite well, as I raced there recently in A1GP.”
- Karthikeyan qualifies for eighth place in Le Mans Series - Aug 01, 2009
- Karthikeyan qualifies 14th for Le Mans race - Jun 13, 2009
- Karthikeyan team fails to qualify for 1,000-km Le Mans Series - Aug 02, 2009
- Narain sixth in Le Mans Endurance race - May 12, 2009
- Karthikeyan returns to Formula One - Jan 06, 2011
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- Narain hopeful of return to Formula One - Aug 04, 2009
- JRM team, Karun hoping for good result at Le Mans - Aug 23, 2012
- Karthikeyan to warm-up in Singapore ahead of Indian GP - Sep 17, 2011
- Buddh circuit gets a thumbs-up but dust remains a concern - Oct 28, 2011
- Karthikeyan hopes to better qualifying show at Silverstone - Jul 06, 2012
- An emotional and special moment: Mallya - Oct 28, 2011
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
- Bumpy ride for Karthikeyan and Chandhok - Oct 23, 2011
- FIA GT1 World Championship: Budh International to host 2012 season final - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: absence, algarve, andre lotterer, audi r10 tdi, car race, charles zwolsman, disaster, june 14, karthikeyan, kolles, le mans 24 hour, left shoulder, medication, narain, physiotherapy, pitwall, portugal, saturday night, sling, washroom