Indonesia’s Mount Lokon volcano eruptsFebruary 10th, 2012 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Feb 10 (IANS) Indonesian volcano Mount Lokon erupted Friday morning followed by a roaring noise and spewing of thick grey ash up to two km, officials said.
The 1,578-metre volcano in Sulawesi province erupted at 8.20 a.m., Xinhua reported citing the Centre of Volcanology and Geological Danger Mitigation at the ministry of energy and mineral resources.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a public relations official at the National Agency for Disaster Management, recommended that there should be no public activity within 2.5 km from the crater.
He urged people to stay alert and prepare for further activities of the volcano.
However, there was no immediate need for evacuating the area, officials said.
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
- Volcano erupts in Indonesia - Jul 15, 2011
- Mount Gamalama erupts in Indonesia - Dec 05, 2011
- Tornado hits Indonesia - Jan 26, 2012
- Indonesian volcano erupts again - Sep 03, 2010
- Indonesian tornado leaves 14 dead - Jan 29, 2012
- Indonesian volcano erupts again - Sep 07, 2010
- One killed, four hurt in Indonesia quakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Indonesia's Mount Bromo makes small eruption - Nov 27, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts for second time (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts for second time - Aug 30, 2010
- Indonesia raises alert status for Mount Bromo - Nov 24, 2010
- Increased volcanic activity seen at Indonesia's Mount Anak Krakatau - Nov 02, 2010
- Volcano erupts in the Philippines - Feb 21, 2011