Indonesian TV cameraman arrested in Good Friday bomb plotApril 23rd, 2011 - 9:32 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — Indonesian police arrested a cameraman for suspected involvement in the foiled Good Friday bomb attack on the outskirts of Jakarta, authorities said Saturday.
The Jakarta Globe reported that the cameraman from Indonesian television station Global TV was allegedly recruited to film the attack. National Police spokesman Chief Comr. Boy Rafly Amar identified the man by his initials, IF.
“He was arrested at Jakarta on Friday,” Boy told the Jakarta Globe on Saturday.
He said the alleged mastermind, knowns as ‘P’, had also asked IF to invite foreign cameramen to film the explosions, saying he “wanted the blast to be broadcast internationally.”
On Thursday, police arrested 19 suspects, including P, in connection to recent book bomb attacks. Most of the arrested were university graduates.
Police found five pipe bombs and two much larger backpack bombs adjacent to a gas pipeline near the Christ Cathedral in Serpong, just west of Jakarta. The bombs were timed to explode during Good Friday services when thousands of worshippers packed the church to celebrate the holiday.
Since the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, including 88 Australian tourists, the country has been constantly fighting terrorist cells.
- 19 held for plotting to bomb Indonesia church - Apr 27, 2011
- Bombs hurled at Indonesia church - Apr 29, 2011
- 16 terror suspects held in Indonesia - Jun 13, 2011
- Islamist militants wanted to film and broadcast cathedral explosion in Indonesia - Apr 23, 2011
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years - Jun 21, 2012
- 2002 Bali bombing suspect arrested - Jun 14, 2011
- Fake policemen held in Indonesia - May 03, 2012
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Al Qaeda-linked terrorist held in Malaysia - Jun 11, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Aussie travel warning for Indonesia following arrest of Bali bombing suspect in Pak - Apr 01, 2011
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- International terrorist - Bali bomber - Noordin Top arrested - Aug 07, 2009
- Seven Indonesian men sentenced to prison for terrorism - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: australian tourists, bali bombings, bno, bomb attack, bomb plot, cameramen, christ cathedral, gas pipeline, global tv, good friday, good friday services, indonesian police, indonesian television, jakarta indonesia, national police, pipe bombs, police spokesman, terrorist cells, university graduates, worshippers