Indonesian plane with 17 people aboard remains missingAugust 3rd, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Aug 3 (DPA) Indonesian search and rescue workers have failed to locate an aircraft with 15 people and two babies on board that disappeared shortly after takeoff in the eastern province of Papua, officials said Monday.
Several rescue planes were dispatched to search for the Twin Otter plane belonging to the state-owned Merpati Nusantara Airlines that went missing Sunday in Papua, Indonesia’s easternmost province.
But after several hours of searching, the rescue planes came back without spotting any debris, officials at the transportation ministry said.
“Until this (Monday) afternoon, the plane is still missing,” said Bambang S. Ervan, the ministry’s spokesman. He said he believed the plane had not made an emergency landing.
Meanwhile, the state-run Antara news agency quoted Merpati’s president-director Bambang Bhakti as saying that the search was focused on eight different spots in the mountainous, thickly jungled Papua province.
The Twin Otter plane with 12 passengers on board, including two babies, and a crew of three lost contact with ground control about 15 minutes after departing from Jayapura. It was headed to Oksibil airport for a scheduled 55-minute flight.
Papua relies on air transport owing to its limited road network.
- Indonesian Merpati flight missing over Papua - Aug 02, 2009
- Merpati Airlines passenger plane crashes in eastern Indonesia, killing 27 - May 07, 2011
- Plane carrying 16 people missing in Indonesia - Aug 02, 2009
- Plane carrying 18 missing in Indonesia - Sep 29, 2011
- Crews recover black box from Indonesian plane crash site - May 09, 2011
- Rescue workers spot wreckage of small plane on Indonesian mountain - Oct 05, 2012
- Missing aircraft found in Indonesia - May 10, 2012
- 10 killed in Indonesian plane crash (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- No survivors found in Sukhoi crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Russian plane goes missing in Indonesia - May 09, 2012
- No survivors in Sukhoi crash, Russia opens criminal case (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Russian plane with 44 missing in Indonesia (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Plane crash in western Indonesia kills five - Feb 12, 2011
- Boeing 737 carrying 103 people crashes near Indonesian airport; dozens hurt - Apr 13, 2010
- Nine killed in Moscow river boat accident - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: air transport, antara, babies on board, bambang, bhakti, eastern province, easternmost province, emergency landing, ground control, minute flight, monday afternoon, otter, papua indonesia, papua province, president director, rescue planes, search and rescue, takeoff, transportation ministry, twin otter plane