Indonesian jailed for ‘God doesn’t exist’ Facebook postJune 15th, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 15 (IANS) An Indonesian man has been jailed for two-and-a-half-years for sharing explicit material about Prophet Mohammed online and writing “God doesn’t exist” on his Facebook page, it was reported here.
Alexander Aan, 30, was imprisoned Thursday, Daily Mail reported. Aan started an atheist group on Facebook on which he shared comic strips of the prophet having sex with his servant, a court in western Sumatra heard.
He was found guilty of “deliberately spreading information inciting religious hatred and animosity”, presiding judge Eka Prasetya Budi Dharma told the Muaro Sijunjung district court in western Sumatra.
Aan also uploaded three articles on his Facebook account, including one describing the prophet being attracted to his daughter-in-law, the Mail added.
- Indonesian arrested for not believing in god - Jan 22, 2012
- Court bans clip of Russians drinking - Apr 17, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan court bans 'extremist' rap song - Jul 25, 2012
- Facebook, Google move court against summons (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Sindh High Court directs PTA to block obscene material on YouTube - Jun 03, 2010
- Filter content or face blackout, court warns Facebook, Google (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- Facebook divides civil society in Pakistan - May 23, 2010
- Russian court bans painting showing Mickey Mouse as Christ - Aug 20, 2011
- Indonesian pop star jailed over online sex tapes - Jan 31, 2011
- 2.5 mn Muslims threaten to leave Facebook - Jul 17, 2010
- Three British Muslims jailed for anti-gay campaign - Feb 11, 2012
- Exodus: India compiling Pakistan link proof, over 250 websites blocked (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Imran to launch video travelogue for 'Ek Main Aur...' (With Image) - Jan 24, 2012
- Facebook's decision to guard 'illegal contents' spurs debate over free speech on internet - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: alexander, animosity, atheist group, budi, comic strips, daily mail, dharma, eka, explicit material, facebook, god doesn, having sex, inciting religious hatred, london, prasetya, presiding judge, prophet mohammed, servant, sumatra, two and a half years