Indonesia tsunami toll rises to over 400October 30th, 2010 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Oct 30 (IANS) The tsunami that devastated the Mentawai Islands in West Sumatra, Indonesia, has killed at least 413 people, while over 300 are still missing.
Data released Saturday by the earthquake and tsunami information services said 207 people were seriously injured and 142 people had minor injuries, Xinhua reported.
A total of 517 houses were destroyed by the tsunami, according to the data.
The tsunami triggered by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck the islands off the western coast of Sumatra Oct 25.
State-run Antara news agency reported Saturday that rescuers are yet to carry out evacuations of two villages - Bosua and Mosokut - in the western coast off Mentawai.
The two villages were flattened by the tsunami and only a few villagers could survive the disaster. Search for missing villagers has been started by volunteers, who found about 27 bodies, the report said.
- Tsunami death toll surpasses 300 as rescuers arrive at remote islands - Oct 28, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damage - Aug 23, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia's Sumatra - Jan 26, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after powerful quake rocks Indonesia - Oct 25, 2010
- Strong quake hits off Southern Sumatra - Jan 18, 2011
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the Banda Sea in Indonesia, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- 84 killed in Indonesian quake (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia, causing panic - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: antara, disaster search, earthquake, evacuations, information services, jakarta, magnitude, mentawai islands, minor injuries, missing data, news agency, oct 30, rescuers, sumatra indonesia, tsunami, tsunami information, tsunami toll, volunteers, west sumatra, xinhua