Indonesia to buy old F-16 jets from USOctober 26th, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Oct 26 (IANS) Indonesia has accepted an offer from the US to buy 24 used F-16 fighter jets to improve the strength of its air force.
The Indonesian parliament Wednesday approved the government’s plan to accept the US offer. But some MPs insisted on buying brand new F-16 planes instead of taking the used fighter jets, Xinhua reported.
The government’s budget was equal to buying six new jets.
The MPs said if the government takes the old aircraft, it has to spend on maintaining the airworthiness of the planes.
Defence Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said the planes will be upgraded into F-16 Block 52, the latest version of that plane.
Indonesia is also expecting deliveries of Sukhoi Su-30 planes from Russia.
- Indonesia says 'no, thanks' to Russia's Sukhoi jets - Aug 09, 2012
- Indonesia to buy missiles from US - Aug 27, 2012
- Pakistan gets new fighter planes from US - Feb 07, 2012
- Missing aircraft found in Indonesia - May 10, 2012
- Sukhoi to remain top combat aircraft seller till 2015 - Feb 25, 2012
- China, Indonesia eye closer military ties - Jan 16, 2012
- Why Russia is losing out in the Indian defence market (Comment) - Jun 14, 2012
- No survivors found in Sukhoi crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Russian plane with 44 missing in Indonesia (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- China's stealth fighter based on US nighthawk - Jan 24, 2011
- Crashed Sukhoi was replacement aircraft - May 16, 2012
- Russian plane goes missing in Indonesia - May 09, 2012
- No survivors in Sukhoi crash, Russia opens criminal case (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Eurofighter Typhoon arrives in India for field trials - Feb 18, 2010
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: air force, airworthiness, budget, defence minister, deliveries, fighter jets, indonesia, indonesian parliament, jakarta, mps, parliament, planes, purnomo yusgiantoro, russia, sukhoi su 30, xinhua