Indonesia releases prisoners to commemorate Independence DayAugust 17th, 2008 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Aug 17 (DPA) Indonesia marked its Independence Day Sunday with reduction of jail sentences for tens of thousands of prisoners, including convicted Australian drug traffickers. More than 55,000 prisoners who have completed at least one-third of their sentences were granted reductions ranging from several weeks or months.
At least 5,700 inmates will walk free, said Untung Sugiyono, director-general of correctional institutions at the justice ministry.
A three-month jail reduction was granted in the 20-year sentence imposed on Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby, the second time authorities had cut the 31-year-old’s sentence after it was reduced by three months in 2006.
Corby is now expected to be freed by April 12, 2024, said Yon Suharyono, the head of the Kerobokan penitentiary on Bali Island, where Corby is being held.
Renae Lawrence, the only female member of the so-called “Bali Nine” ring of Australian heroin traffickers, also received a four-month cut from her 20-year sentence, Suharyono said.
But for the first time this year, those convicted of terrorism, illegal logging and corruption will not get sentence reductions.
In his annual state of the union Friday, President Yudhoyono said that his government was strongly committed to fighting corruption, terrorism and drugs. He also warned that terrorism remained a threat to the country despite various achievements in combating such attacks.
“The security apparatus has managed to arrest, prosecute and sentence the perpetrators but we must continue to heighten our vigilance,” Yudhoyono said.
Indonesia achieved independence from Dutch colonial rule in 1945.
The day’s celebrations included the popular “Panjat Pinang”, where competitors struggle to climb to the top of a greased betel nut palm trunk. The prizes ranged from plastic buckets to a new motorcycle.
- Indonesia and Australia discuss asylum center proposal and drug smugglers' death sentence - Nov 02, 2010
- Indonesia cuts sentence of over 50,000 prisoners - Aug 18, 2012
- Russia introduces life sentence for drug dealers - Mar 03, 2012
- Indonesian prosecutors seek 20-year jail for prison warden - Dec 29, 2011
- No explosives found in suspicious package in Indonesian resort island - Mar 22, 2011
- Five drug traffickers hanged in Iran - May 11, 2011
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years - Jun 21, 2012
- Yudhoyono - a thinking general who is a good administrator - Jan 24, 2011
- India, UAE sign pacts on terror cooperation, prisoners - Nov 23, 2011
- Australian jailed in Bali for smuggling drugs in stomach - Jul 23, 2012
- Indonesia, China reach $17 billion cooperation deals - Mar 24, 2012
- Three drug traffickers get death in China - Apr 11, 2012
- Thief ticks off judge, tells him to do job properly - Mar 16, 2012
- Iran hangs 11 convicted drug traffickers - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: bali island, bali nine, betel nut palm, colonial rule, correctional institutions, drug trafficker, drug traffickers, female member, heroin traffickers, illegal logging, jail sentences, justice ministry, palm trunk, penitentiary, plastic buckets, schapelle corby, security apparatus, time authorities, vigilance, yudhoyono