Indonesia, Philippines ban baby formula from ChinaSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta/Manila, Sep 23 (DPA) Indonesia and the Philippines have banned the import of baby formula from China following detection of industrial chemical melamine in the Chinese product which killed at least four babies and sickened thousands in China.”For the time being, the Chinese products are banned from the market” while authorities examine Chinese milk formula sold in Indonesia, health ministry spokeswoman Lily Sulistyowati said Tuesday.
The test results would be known in the next two or three days, the state-run Antara news agency quoted Sulistyowati as saying late Monday.
The Indonesian government would test all baby formula sold domestically to check if any had been tainted during production, she said.
The Philippine bureau of food and drugs also called on consumers to report to authorities if they encounter Chinese milk products in stores, supermarkets or groceries.
“The Bureau of Food and Drugs is directing all licensed importers and distributors of registered milk products sourced in China to immediately stop from further importing, selling and offering for sale these products,” the agency said in an advisory.
Melamine is used as a binding agent and coating for particle, fibre and laminated board. It is also used to make fertilizer.
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- China launches stringent regulation on melamine to ensure food safety - Sep 26, 2010
- 70 percent Chinese preferred imported milk powder due to safety concerns - Mar 01, 2011
- China sets limit on melamine in baby food - Apr 21, 2011
- Epilepsy causing parasite found in eels - May 18, 2011
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- Baby food safety turning Chinese to look for imports - Jul 16, 2012
- India extends ban on milk products from China - Jun 24, 2010
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- China bans artificial flavours in baby food - Jul 27, 2010
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- China to create alternative to human breast milk - Apr 15, 2011