Indonesia forms its first yoga associationMarch 5th, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bali, March 5 (IANS) Despite all the hullabulloo about the ban on certain elements of yoga by the country’s top Muslim body, Indonesia formed its first yoga association Thursday at the International Bali India Yoga festival.
Formed under the aegis of Somvir, an Indian spiritual guru and academic who formed the Bali India Foundation to teach yoga more than a decade back, the association’s main aim will be to remove misconceptions about yoga and spread awareness about it.
“There are many yoga centres here in Bali and elsewhere but hardly anyone knows each other. This association will be like an umbrella organisation to exchange ideas, information and ultimately spread awareness that yoga is a medium to good health,” Somvir told IANS at the festival Thursday.
A total of 30 yoga centres from various parts of Indonesia like Bali, Java and Lombo have came together to form the association.
With the recent regulation on certain elements of yoga by the country’s topmost Muslim body in the backdrop, Somvir said that the association will also aim at removing people’s misconceptions about yoga.
“In Indonesia, yoga is becoming popular but many people still keep away from it thinking that it’s a mystic art that should avoid. We will try and disseminate information that yoga is just an exercise for physical and mental well being,” Somvir added.
Although Somvir is the founding member of the association, the chief of the association is a Balinese woman entrepreneur who has been learning yoga at the Bali India Foundation for a year now.
“Sri is an avid yoga practitioner. Since nearly 90 percent of those practising yoga in the world are women, it’s only fair that a woman is the chief of the association,” he said.
- Yoga set to take off in enchanting Bali - Mar 01, 2009
- Indonesian ban makes people curious, draws them to yoga festival - Mar 04, 2009
- For health and beauty, Bali turns to yoga asanas - Mar 05, 2009
- Bali's 'Indian connection' is striking (Feature With Images) - Apr 11, 2009
- Islam doesn't contradict yoga: Indonesian Islamic scholar - Mar 03, 2009
- Yoga has "avatars" in America - Jan 10, 2011
- Yoga doesn't contradict Islam, says Indonesian Muslim scholar (Lead) - Mar 03, 2009
- Yoga festival to promote tourism in Bali - Feb 14, 2009
- Hindus welcome endorsement of yoga in a Catholic publication - Aug 23, 2010
- There is "Jewish Yoga" in America - Jan 31, 2011
- 2002 Bali bombing suspect arrested - Jun 14, 2011
- Yoga retreats becoming popular world over - Feb 27, 2011
- Cabinet approves opening of consulate general of India in Indonesia - Nov 04, 2010
- President Patil recalls, lauds India-Bali ties - Nov 29, 2008
- Indonesia's first gay medical clinic opens in Bali - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: aegis, backdrop, bali, balinese, elements of yoga, exchange ideas, founding member, good health, india yoga, indonesia, lombo, misconceptions, muslim, mystic art, spiritual guru, spread awareness, umbrella organisation, woman entrepreneur, yoga association, yoga practitioner