Indonesia coal mine blast toll rises to 32 (Lead)June 17th, 2009 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, June 17 (DPA) The toll in a coal mine blast in Indonesia reached 32 Wednesday, with one miner still trapped in a 150-metre shaft and feared dead, officials said.
On Wednesday afternoon, rescuers pulled four more bodies from the West Sumatra mine, which collapsed after an explosion of methane gas the previous day, said Rustam Pakaya, head of the health ministry’s crisis centre in Jakarta.
Hours earlier, an official at the West Sumatra crisis centre said nine people were injured, most with serious burns. Eight victims were treated at a local hospital in Sawahlunto, while one was sent to the provincial capital of Padang, due to his serious condition.
Pakaya said rescue workers, comprising military and police officers as well as volunteers and miners were still searching for one more miner who remained trapped and feared dead.
A methane explosion collapsed the mine operated by private coal company PT Dasrat Sarana Tuesday, sending flames up to 50 metres in the air and leaving a huge crater on the surface.
Indonesia has some of the world’s largest coal deposits and the country is a major coal exporter. Sawahlunto is a coal mining hub and tourism destination.
- Indonesia coal mine blast toll rises to 28 - Jun 17, 2009
- 75 killed, hundreds trapped in Indonesia quake (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2009
- 20 dead in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 10, 2011
- At least 75 killed in Indonesian quake (Second Lead) - Sep 30, 2009
- Seven trapped Chinese miners found alive - Nov 19, 2011
- Indonesian quake kills 200 - Oct 01, 2009
- Indian ocean tsunami alert lifted now - Oct 01, 2009
- Dozens feared killed after coal mine blasts in western Pakistan - Mar 20, 2011
- Toll reaches 28 in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 12, 2011
- Seven killed in China mine collapse - Feb 20, 2012
- Three killed, 19 trapped in China coal mine cave-in - Jul 02, 2011
- Indonesian quake kills 200, dozens trapped under rubble (Lead) - Oct 01, 2009
- Indonesia quake toll rises to 467 (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2009
- Struggle to rescue 22 trapped miners in China - Nov 11, 2011
- Six dead in central China coal mine gas leak - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: coal company, coal deposits, coal exporter, coal mine, coal mining, company pt, crisis centre, health ministry, local hospital, methane explosion, methane gas, miners, padang, pakaya, provincial capital, rescuers, sawahlunto, tourism destination, wednesday afternoon, west sumatra