Indo-Canadian doctor held on drugging, rape chargesFebruary 21st, 2011 - 9:49 am ICT by IANS
By Gurmukh Singh
Toronto, Feb 21 (IANS) An Indo-Canadian doctor and his colleague have been arrested here for allegedly drugging and raping a young woman in a downtown hotel.Amitabh Chauhan and Suganthan Kayilasanathan, both 32, who were arrested at the weekend, appeared in a city court Saturday to face charges of drugging and sexual assault. Their bail hearing was adjourned till Wednesday.
According to police, Chauhan and Kayilasanathan met the 23-year-old victim in a hotel bar. As the two men chatted with her while drinking, they offered to help her with some career advice.
Police said the two man and the victim then went to another city bar where they allegedly managed to mix a noxious substance in her drink. After drugging the woman, Chauhan and his friend doctor took her to a hotel where they sexually assaulted her.
Chauhan graduated from the famous McMaster University at Hamilton near Toronto. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario currently lists him as a postgraduate student at the department of plastic surgery in the same university.
Kayilasanathan, the other accused, is a family physician in the Toronto suburb of Markham.
Police have warned that the two accused doctors may have used drugs on other women. “There may be other victims and we would like them to come forward,” said the sex crimes unit of Toronto Police.
The accused will stay behind till their bail hearing.
Chauhan’s lawyer, Sean Robichaud, said Sunday, “All I can say is that Dr. Chauhan looks forward to contesting these allegations in court when the time comes.”
(Gurmukh Singh can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indian doctor gets bail for gangrape, two more victims come forward - Feb 24, 2011
- Two arrested for abducting, drugging woman in Delhi - Jun 16, 2012
- Two minors raped in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- Former IMF chief faces gang rape allegations - May 21, 2012
- 22-year-old maid raped by employer, two others - Jun 22, 2011
- US woman charged for sexually assaulting daughter's teenage friends - Jul 16, 2010
- Father rapes daughter in west Delhi - May 19, 2012
- Man held for rape in Delhi hotel - Oct 24, 2011
- Youth arrested for raping infant in Delhi - Aug 17, 2012
- Weight-loss doctor in US arrested for sexually assaulting his patients - Apr 13, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn blames Sarkozy for destroying his bid - Apr 28, 2012
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- US teen who sexually assaulted girls, drank blood claims he was a vampire - Dec 22, 2010
- Irish woman accused of raping female says she just kissed the victim - Dec 01, 2010
- Eight arrested for thrashing Delhi hotel official - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: canadian doctor, career advice, college of physicians, college of physicians and surgeons, college of physicians and surgeons of ontario, downtown hotel, family physician, hotel bar, mcmaster university, noxious substance, physicians and surgeons, physicians and surgeons of ontario, plastic surgery, postgraduate student, rape charges, robichaud, sex crimes unit, sexual assault, toronto police, toronto suburb