India’s junior tennis teams target World Group FinalsApril 11th, 2009 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) India’s junior Davis Cup and Fed Cup teams will aim to reach the World Group Finals in the Asia-Oceania tennis qualifying event in Australia April 15-20.
The teams will leave Sunday morning for the competition to be held on the grasscourts of Shepparton Lawn Tennis Club and Tatura Lawn Tennis Club in Shepparton, Victoria.
The Indian junior Davis Cup team includes Saurabh Singh, Ronit Bisht and Mohit Mayur while Shweta Rana, Rishika Sunkara, Ratnika Batra and Ankita Raina form the Fed Cup team.
Former India Davis Cupper Vishal Uppal is the coach of the boys team while Nitin Kirtane is the girls team coach.
“We will get one day to practice. It will be a tough challenge as the ties will be played on grass and our boys and girls do not have much experience on it,” Uppal said.
“But other teams barring Australia do not have much exposure on grasscourts. All the teams will get just a day to practice and that evens out things. The target is to reach the World Group final stage and we are hoping for the the best,” he added.
National hardcourt champion Ratnika said she was confident of her performance. “I have worked on my serve and forehand and I am feeling quite confident before the tie.”
Besides India and hosts Australia, the tournaments feature teams from China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and Uzbekistan.
The 16 boys’ and 16 girls’ teams will play off in a round-robin pool, with the top two teams from the pool of four moving to the quarterfinals April 18.
The semifinals will be on April 19 and finals on April 20.
Each tie comprises two singles and a doubles match.
The four semi-finalists will qualify for the World Finals, to be held September 29-Oct 4 at San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
- Junior Davis Cup: India open against Chinese Taipei - Apr 17, 2011
- Gao, Okuno top seeds at Asian Junior tennis in Chennai - May 10, 2011
- Mayur, Agarwal in boys final of national junior tennis - Sep 02, 2011
- DLTA to set up residential tennis academy - Jul 16, 2011
- Chandigarh to host India-New Zealand Davis Cup tie - Apr 10, 2012
- Rohit Rajpal appointed DLTA director - May 25, 2011
- It's all over for Indian juniors in Australian Open - Jan 26, 2010
- National Tennis Championships beginning from oct 10 - Sep 07, 2011
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- Three Indians make main draw in ITF Open - Mar 18, 2012
- India go down to Chinese Taipei in Junior Davis Cup - Apr 18, 2011
- Kowase, Ouyang win Asian Junior Tennis Championships - May 30, 2010
- India lose to China in Jr Davis cup - Apr 19, 2011
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: ankita, asia oceania, bisht, chinese taipei, cupper, girls teams, hardcourt, junior tennis, korea malaysia, lawn tennis club, mayur, mohit, robin pool, ronit, saurabh singh, shepparton victoria, shweta, target world, vishal uppal, world group