India’s I-Day celebrated in USAugust 16th, 2008 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington/New York, Aug 16 (IANS) The Indian community in the US celebrated the 6ist anniversary of India’s independence with Ambassador Ronen Sen unfurling the national flag and consul general Neelam Deo ringing the closing bell at NASDAQ, the world’s largest stock exchange in New York. In Washington, the Indian community gathered in large numbers Friday at the embassy residence where Sen read out President Pratibha Patil’s address to the nation after unfurling the national flag and singing of the national anthem. Patriotic songs in various Indian regional languages were sung culminating with the timeless “Sare jahan se achha Hindustan hamara.”
US President George W Bush in a message lauded India’s path to independence as a “great story of liberty overcoming oppression”. The occasion reminds one of the “close ties” America shares with India and the rich contributions made by the Indian-American community, he stated.
“Led by Mahatma Gandhi the Indian people engaged in non-violent protests and campaigns in the pursuit of freedom… This accomplishment demonstrates that though freedom can be delayed, it cannot be denied,” Bush said.
In New York, the Indian tricolour fluttered in the backdrop as Deo rung the closing bell at NASDAQ. It was the first time that a consul general has rung the closing bell at the stock market in a a testimony to India’s fast growing economy.
Outside the exchange, the huge electronic board, which overlooks the historic Times Square, was lighted in saffron, white and green, with the words “India Independence Day”.
NASDAQ lists six Indian companies with a combined market cap of almost $35 billion. Infosys and Cognizant are members of the NASDAQ 100 Index, which is one of the most prestigious and widely followed indices in the world.
- NASDAQ dons Indian colours for I-Day - Aug 16, 2012
- Pakistanis in UAE celebrate Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Indian envoy rings in Independence Day at NASDAQ - Aug 15, 2009
- Obama, Hillary laud India, tricolour goes up at NASDAQ (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2009
- Indian community in US celebrates R-day - Jan 27, 2012
- India's I-Day celebrated in Kuwait (With Image) - Aug 15, 2012
- Indian-Americans celebrate I-day while Sunita greets from space (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Indians in Ethiopia celebrate I-day - Aug 15, 2010
- Independence Day celebrated in Kuwait (With Images) - Aug 15, 2011
- Indians in US celebrate a rainy Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- Indian Americans celebrate I-Day with colourful parades - Aug 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu should grow at 11 percent, says Jayalalithaa - Aug 15, 2012
- Preity Zinta to ring NASDAQ opening bell (Movie Snippets) - Aug 17, 2010
- Republic Day celebrated in Kuwait - Jan 26, 2011
- Haryana increases pension for freedom fighters - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: ambassador ronen sen, close ties, closing bell, consul general, electronic board, george w bush, hamara, india independence day, indian tricolour, mahatma gandhi, nasdaq 100 index, national anthem, neelam, patriotic songs, president george w bush, president pratibha patil, regional languages, rich contributions, sare jahan se achha, violent protests