India’s ambassador Meera Shankar frisked at US airportDecember 9th, 2010 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 9 (ANI): Indian Ambassador to the US Meera Shankar was recently patted down by an American security agent at the Jackson - Evers International Airport in Mississippi.
The incident took place on December 4 where Shankar was about to board a flight to Baltimore after attending the Mississippi State University’s programme.
Those who witnessed the ambassador’s screening said officers told her that she was singled out because of the way she was dressed. Shankar was wearing a sari.
She was taken to a VIP waiting room despite being told she was an ambassador. She was later pulled from a security line and patted down by a female Transportation Security Administration agent.
Shankar presented her diplomatic papers to officers and was escorted by a Mississippi Development Authority representative.
However, a Transportation Security Administration spokesman said diplomats are not exempt from the searches and that Shankar “was screened in accordance with TSA’s security policies and procedures.”
Officials at the Indian embassy in Washington declined to discuss what happened. (ANI)
- Insult to Indian Ambassador Meera Shankar unacceptable, says Krishna - Dec 09, 2010
- Meera Shankar's Pat Down Controversy Intensifies - Dec 09, 2010
- Envoy's frisking: India threatens to review US diplomats' privileges (Lead) - Dec 11, 2010
- India to protest envoy's 'pat down', US says diplomats not exempt (Night Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- US regrets Indian envoy's frisking - Dec 10, 2010
- India to protest envoy's US 'pat down' search, wants apology (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- Frisking of Indian envoy unfortunate, security policies need to be reviewed: US - Dec 10, 2010
- India to protest envoy's 'pat down' search in US - Dec 09, 2010
- India summons US diplomat over Shankar's 'pat down' search - Dec 11, 2010
- Indian Foreign Ministry conveys displeasure on patting of Ambassador Meera Shankar - Dec 11, 2010
- India's envoy to UN Hardeep Puri frisked at US airport - Dec 13, 2010
- Envoy's airport search will be taken up with US embassy: Rao - Dec 10, 2010
- US seeks to cool diplomatic row over envoy pat down - Dec 11, 2010
- Another pat down of diplomat in US, India takes up issue (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Another Indian diplomat 'patted down', issue taken up with US - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: american security, diplomatic papers, diplomats, embassy in washington, indian ambassador, indian embassy in washington, jackson evers international airport, meera shankar, mississippi development authority, mississippi state university, policies and procedures, sari, security agent, security line, security policies and procedures, spokesman, transportation security administration, tsa, vip, waiting room