Indians look un-coordinated, Rathore carries flagAugust 8th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
By V Krishnaswamy
Beijing, Aug 8 (IANS) There was an air of casualness about the Indian contingent as they marched into the packed National Stadium, Bird’s Nest, for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games here Frriday. Paddler Neha Aggarwal wore a green saree, while tennis star Sania Mirza sported dark trousers with a light top during the march past that saw around 30 of the nation’s 56 athletes taking part.
The men, however, were better clad, turning out in sherwanis.
Shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, who gave India its solitary moment of cheer four years back by claiming a silver medal, carried the Indian tricolour into the stadium Bird’s Nest.
That was indeed befitting, for apart from being an acknowledgement of his stupendous feat, Rathore’s sport shooting presents India’s best chance of winning medals this time around.
Most of the Indian competitors also did not march smartly, Rathore, tennis ace Leander Paes and shooter Gagan Narang being the exceptions.
Among the world leaders and high-profile guests watching the breath-taking opening ceremony from the VIP box were India’s ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi.
- India's who's who tweet on Narang's feat - Jul 30, 2012
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
- Loudest cheers for India, grand welcome for Pakistan at CWG opener (LEAD) - Oct 03, 2010
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Selectors didn't have faith in Rathore: NRAI president - Mar 13, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG Shooting: Champion shooters pull crowds to the range - Oct 06, 2010
- Gagan Narang becomes fifth shooter to carry Indian flag - Nov 12, 2010
- You make us proud: Sachin lavishes praise on Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Ace shooter Gagan Narang is standard bearer - Oct 14, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang battles fatigue to carry Indian flag (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: aggarwal, casualness, chairperson, gagan, indian tricolour, krishnaswamy, leander paes, olympic games, opening ceremony, profile guests, progressive alliance, rathore, sania mirza, saree, silver medal, solitary moment, sonia gandhi, tennis ace, tennis star, UPA