Indians in Uganda promise to reward CWG meddalistsSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kampala, Sep 23 (IANS) The Indian community in Uganda has promised to reward Ugandan athletes who win medals at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
“We shall give cash rewards to the best performers because they need to be motivated,” said Sanjiv Patel, a member of the Indian community, during the team’s send-off Wednesday night.
The Indian community has helped raise about $93,000 to facilitate the Ugandan team’s preparation for the Games, scheduled to begin in the Indian capital Oct 3.
“The Games will be held in our country (India) for the first time and we thought as Indians based in Uganda, we must help the Ugandan team,” Patel was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Uganda’s Education and Sports Minister Namirembe Bitamazire wished the team members well and prayed that they win “as many medals as possible”.
The Ugandan team consists of 65 athletes and 18 officials. They would take part in badminton, rugby, squash, tennis, table tennis, swimming and athletics.
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Uganda celebrates first gold after 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- Senegal coach optimistic ahead of World Cup qualifier - Jun 09, 2012
- 36 Indian shooters will be targetting 120 CWG medals - Aug 25, 2010
- 13 Olympics events will be played at Commonwealth Games - Aug 28, 2010
- With the clouds gone, CWG competitions set to begin Monday - Oct 03, 2010
- Tickets for major events sold out, now rush for leftovers - Oct 09, 2010
- CWG stadium factfile (With Stadium story) - Jun 25, 2010
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- CWG: 43 gold medals at stake, all eyes upon Indian shooters - Oct 08, 2010
- Australia's Gold Coast to host 2018 Commonwealth Games - Nov 12, 2011
- Ugandan president rewards Olympic gold medal winner - Aug 16, 2012
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Ugandan parliament honours Olympic gold winner - Aug 17, 2012
- 11 Commonwealth Games venues handed over to organising committee - Aug 06, 2010