Indians in Qatar celebrate Onam, Eid-ul-Fitr togetherOctober 4th, 2008 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 4 (IANS) Expatriate Indians in Qatar are celebrating Onam, the harvest festival of Kerala, along with Eid-ul-Fitr at several functions.One such function was organised by the Kerala Social and Cultural Association (KSCA), affiliated to the Indian Cultural Centre (ICC), under the aegis of the Indian embassy Friday.
Indians in the Gulf kept Onam, which fell Sep 13 this year, a private affair as it coincided with the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. They kept public functions for October.
At Friday’s function in Doha, India’s Ambassador to Qatar George Joseph lit the ceremonial lamp to inaugurate the function, reports said.
Around 800 people were treated to the traditional Onasadhya feast.
KSCA also made donations to the Indian Community Benevolent Fund and Qatar Charity.
Khalid Fakhroo, Qatar Charity’s head of public relations, who also attended the function, while expressing happiness that Onam and Eid were being celebrated together, thanked KSCA for the contribution.
Ambassador Joseph lauded KSCA for its efforts to keep Kerala’s traditions alive.
Meanwhile, the Madeena Group of Companies in Doha’s industrial area also organised a similar programme that was attended by around 750 people.
The Kannur United Welfare Association of Qatar also celebrated both the festivals at a luncheon event in a Doha hotel.
Of the around 420,000 expatriate Indians in Qatar, a large number hail from Kerala.
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- Kerala to honour actor Kamal Haasan - Aug 13, 2010
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- Happy Onam, tweets B-town - Aug 29, 2012
- Indians in Qatar contribute to fund for Gaza victims - Jan 19, 2009
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Qatar Keralites to release film on elderly - Mar 23, 2011
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- It's Onam , but few homes will do the full 26-dish sadhya - Aug 24, 2012
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011