Indians held in British sham marriageFebruary 1st, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 1 (IANS) A sham double wedding collapsed when one of the bogus brides was unable to identify the Indian man she was due to marry, Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
The registrar had become suspicious when he was asked to marry two Lithuanian women to two Indian men. All involved in the crime were given prison sentences.
His initial fears were confirmed when the couples turned up at the register office and were unable to communicate with their betrothed.
Immigration officers were called and the whole wedding party was arrested, together with the organiser who had set them up.
On Tuesday, a court was told that Indian-born Manpreet Singh, 27, and Jasbir Singh, 21, had arranged to marry Lithuanian girls Oskana Alexsandraviciute, 27, and Sandra Beleckaite, 21, at Wrexham register office.
By marrying two European residents, the Indian men would have been allowed to remain in Britain.
As the couples waited for the ceremony, it became clear that neither bride nor groom spoke the same language and could not understand each other.
Tipped off by the register office, immigration officials swooped and asked one of the Lithuanian ‘brides’ to point out her husband-to-be.
When she identified the wrong man, the whole group was arrested on the spot, the Mail said.
Manpreet Singh and Jasbir Singh were jailed for 12 months and 11 months, respectively, while their two ‘brides’, Alexsandraviciute and Beleckaite, all from Wolverhampton, were jailed for 304 days each - meaning they walked free due to time spent on remand.
Organiser Jaspal Sahota, 51, a respected community elder, was jailed for two years and two months.
The Indian men will be deported when they have served their sentences.
- Sham marriage groom made list to memorise bride's details - Dec 03, 2011
- 20 Vietnamese women disappear after marriage in China - May 11, 2010
- Groom stranded as bride flees with money - Sep 03, 2012
- Elizabeth Balogh arrested on her wedding day - Nov 18, 2011
- Pakistani man arrested before wedding in Britain - Jul 24, 2010
- Indian's sham UK marriage exposed after bride-to-be beds another man - Jan 11, 2011
- Malaysian men getting hitched to foreign women for a price - Feb 20, 2011
- Spain shuts migrant marriage fraud ring - Feb 01, 2012
- The grooms were drunk, the brides said no - May 01, 2012
- Guard murdered for not opening gate promptly - Jul 02, 2011
- UK groom turns Superman for comic-themed wedding ceremony - Feb 26, 2011
- Badal asks Ramoowalia to rejoin Akali Dal - Nov 22, 2011
- Manpreet Badal ploughs a lonely furrow (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 24, 2012
- Spoof royal wedding video showing Royal Family dancing goes viral - Apr 18, 2011
- Wedding for the jailed after court intervention - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: 12 months, brides, daily mail, double wedding, european residents, immigration officers, immigration officials, indian man, indian men, initial fears, jasbir singh, jaspal, lithuanian girls, lithuanian women, london feb, prison sentences, register office, sham marriage, wedding party, wrong man